.33.

SHE FOUND HERSELF EATING CEREAL ON THE COUCH. Early morning light bled in from the edges of the draped windows. There was a quiet laziness to the air, one only Saturday could bring, muddled with voices from the television and the shuffling of papers.

Her uncle sat beside her, grading assignments and sipping his third cup of coffee. How he never grew sick of it, she didn't know, nor did she want to. "Kaminari's suddenly gotten better at his English homework," Aizawa said, voice tired and quiet. His bandages were off, finally, save for the ones wrapped around his elbow. Aether, the fairy woman that taught 1-C, had been visiting every day to heal Aizawa to the best of her abilities. She didn't know all that much about the woman's Quirk, but it seemed it had more than just "wings" on the list. The sessions always ended with Aether passed out on their couch, green wings curled around her shoulders, but neither of them minded. If Kendria had to guess, she would say the fairy and her uncle went a long ways back, like Present Mic and Midnight.

Those two showed up quite often.

Shaking her head, she shrugged, glancing at the new scar underneath his eye. Blood pooling on the concrete, the Nomu's screeches, her uncle's broken face and a sickening crunch and bloodbloodblood-- "He needed help studying," she said, turning back to her show. Mysteries at the Museum was on, and Don Wildman was in the middle of a mysterious string of robberies. The locksmith did it, she knew, having figured it at out the start of the segment, so she wasn't really paying attention.

"That's nice of you, but he needs to actually learn it --"

"And he is." She chewed on another spoonful of her breakfast. "I'm helping him study, Aizawa. Actually studying, not just giving him answers. He caught on quick, though. I think he just needed it in a format he could understand." Her uncle grunted and marked a score.

Kendria rolled her eyes. Though he didn't show it, she knew that he cared for his students, and that he was proud of Kaminari for his improvement. And, she suspected, proud of her for helping. Neither of them had mentioned it, but they both knew she had changed from the cold, indifferent girl during her time in Japan. To think, she had been so scared of getting attached, of making friends, fearful that it would all be ripped away from her in a second's notice.

It wouldn't be. She didn't know when she had decided this, when she had finally relaxed and allowed herself to enjoy this new life. But she was still here, still learning at the top Hero school, still training and laughing with her friends. And that would not change, not if she could help it.

Her phone buzzed, snapping her from her thoughts. It was a text from Ashido. She read through it once, twice, finished her cereal and bolted to the sink. "Ashido is having a girls' day," she said in response to Aizawa's questioning stare. "And she wants to know if I can come." Kendria paused in washing her bowl, hands covered in suds. "Is that okay, Aizawa? Can I go?"

He blinked. "Of course." She grinned, rinsing her bowl and setting it out to dry before dashing for her room. "Kendria?" She stopped, turning back to meet his eyes. Aizawa gave her a rare smile. "We've been a family for months now. No need to be so formal. You can call my Uncle Shota, if you want." Family. Something tugged at her heart, and warmth spread through her chest.

"Uncle Shota." The words sounded weird, almost clumsy coming from her. A look flashed across her uncle's face, as if he was suddenly unsure if he'd overstepped. "No, it's fine, I like it," she assured, flashing a thumbs up. Kaminari's rubbing off on me. "It'll just take some getting used to, that's all." He nodded and relaxed, turning back to the stack of homework as she went to get ready.

Ashido ran into her just as she left the apartment. The pink girl hit her head-on with an oof, both of them stumbling as the others caught up. "Are you ready for the most amazing girls' day ever?!" she practically screamed, jumping from foot to foot. A simultaneous shhh! from everyone quieted her.