JENNIFER'S LOG: LIFE ABOARD THE ENTERPRISE

Being a cadet of the Galactic Federation is exciting and full of adventure. We get to command a starship all on our own without the supervision of experienced adults and explore the galaxy. However, it does have its ups and downs. Running a starship is big responsibility, not just for the captain but for the whole crew. It can also get a little crowded living with three hundred crewmen lightyears from home.

Before joining Starfleet, I never thought much about it. Back home I was okay with waiting my turn to use the bathroom after either my aunt or brother. But its more difficult on the Enterprise because you'll have ten or fifteen crewmen hogging the showers all at once while you wait for ages in a que.

Breakfast and lunch are also the same deal. By the time you get to the mess hall, most of the crew have scoffed all the good stuff. I miss out on all my favourites, and sometimes have to settle for a bowl of cereal, some toast or a glass of orange juice. Luckily my friends are sometimes there to save something for me.

When it comes right down to it, trying to live your life with three hundred crewmen is a matter of timing. You have to be one step ahead before everyone else.

Another downfall of being on the Enterprise is the lack of privacy. Its hard to find a place to be alone and enjoy the peace and quiet, Even if it's in your own cabin. Just when I think I have the whole mess hall to myself; crewmen would burst in and take over the place.

My brother says we are like a big family and all have to get along, which is sometimes hard for everyone including myself. There are some crewmembers aboard who don't respect everyone's boundaries, such as Tom. Despite being the best pilot in the academy, as he puts it, he can be so immature at times. Its like he has no idea how actions effect the rest of us. But then again maybe he does.

There was this one time when me and the girls were watching a reality show on the big HV in the mess hall, Tom walked in and changed without any consult.

However, some of the cadets aboard are more mature and responsible like Max. Some of us consider him to be rather weird or creepy, judging by his gothic attire and emotionless lone wolf personality. He never acts like a regular teenager and tries to be totally responsible for the captain and for the rest of the crew.

Lucky for me we have my brother as our captain. Jonathan keeps the lid on things aboard the Enterprise. Not an easy job sometimes, especially with a crewman like Tom. He must have a lot of patience whenever he starts something that could cause problems for him and the crew.

Being the first officer is no easy task either. Being number one means I'm second in command. I have more responsibility than the rest of the crew as well as my brother.

Apart from my cadet duties, there's my personal duties that I and every have to attend to everyday. Doing my laundry, tidying my cabin, and looking after my cat. With all these responsibilities, you think we have no time or place to be like regular teenagers. Learning to grow up quickly is part of being a Federation cadet, and it will be a part of our daily lives when we graduate.

All in all, life aboard the Enterprise is not so bad. I get to see the universe, I've got two great girlfriends to hang out with, and at the end of the day I can look forward to some rest and relaxation in the comfort of my own cabin.