In Accordance

~ Laia ~
I wake with a jolt. A sharp pain shoots through my spine from the back of my head and a long centipede-like creature scampers down my back and out the other end of my shirt. Chains hold me down on the chair, and they are heavy on my chest. I struggle against them, but they don't budge. I stare out into the darkness and scream in frustration. My scream echoes, and it rings on what sounds like metal.
"Where am I?" I whisper. Then repeat it, louder this time. "Where am I? Hello?"
A dark figure descends from the darkness, creeping out into the light. He wears the traditional death robe, a long black one with a hood. Nothing can be seen of him, just the pale wrinkly chin of an old man when he speaks. His voice is deep and without character or accent. "There is a reason we make your surroundings so dark." I would have taken the statement to be more of a joke if he hadn't said it as though I was stupid for asking such a question.
I glare at him angrily. "It was just a simple..." I go to stay 'question' but he interrupts me as though I had never started speaking.
"I cannot tell you where you are, but I can tell you why you are here." He pauses, but not for long enough to give me enough time to indicate response. "You are here because of things I have heard. Usually, we would punish someone here and there after hearing something like this, but since we're technically not allowed to according to the law at such a young age, I am letting you have the right to speak out and call for your own defense." He speaks with authority but in a cruel manner.
I find myself gaping at him, speechless in the presence of the law. How do they know? Who told them? How did they know? So many questions, so little answers.
My heart beats fast and my head spins. So much has happened in so little time.
The man clears his throat before continuing, "Laia Ebony Laiton, multiple witnesses have come to me in the last few hours, reporting strange and inappropriate behaviour. These paticular behaviours are known as sympotons for what is known to those of colour and to the whites as Love. Do you deny?"
"I do deny. I was not behaving in such ways..." My voice drifts off as my confusion overcomes my thoughts. What do they mean? I wasn't behaving in any strange way.
"Perhaps you were completely oblivious to these actions?"
"I am not sure sir, if I were to be oblivious then I still would not know..." I am still awfully confused by this.
"Alright. Next question. Laia? Have you come into contact with another spirit lately?"
"Yes... yes I have."
"Male or female?"
"In the last 24 hours, 2 females and 1 male."
He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. "Of course you have." He exposes his pale, wrinkly hand and scratches his scalp with long broken nails.
"Excuse me?"
"Laia Ebony Laiton. You have been found guilty of 2 things. Love for another... and saving the life of a white."
I have nothing left to do but gape at him. How did he do that? With 3 questions? It seems unfair and illocial beyond reason. But there is no use arguing.
"Tomorrow morning in the town square, you will be publically prosecuted. 10 lashes on the back, 2 on the front. We would kill you right here, but the law doesn't allow execution of a meer child. Chance you'll live? Hmmm... for a small soul like yourself... 10%"
"Oh my gosh." I blurt out. Well what else is there to say? 12 lashes from a whip of leather, with ends made of broken bits of bone taken from the victims that had died at it's bearer's
hands. Struck out, lashing my limp body and ripping at my flesh. What a terrible way to die.
"Case dismissed."
"What?" I scream. "That's all you have to say?" My voice breaks and it makes me splutter. "My gosh! Men of the law! No wonder our world is so dark! You don't even care that you're murdering me for something out of my control!"
The man spins around and slaps me hard in the face. I squeal as blood drips from the small wound, a metallic taste swells in my mouth.
"How dare you!" He yells back. "How dare are you insult me! With one wave of my hand, I could swipe you clean out of your being. I may be the difference between your life and your death! You are nothing but a foolish child! I suggest you hold your tongue girl."
He glares deep into my eyes before dismissing himself with a single wave of his hand.
I scream in frustration. The tension scratches at my throat, but I don't care. That's just what a temper does to you I'm afraid.
Large, rough hands cover my mouth and shoves a small object down my throat. Then I black out.