Chapter Nine

I had spent most of my afternoon at Valeria's house watching her favorite tv show, which wasn't half bad. It was way better than watching PG movies for the last year. Glancing at my watch, it was just before dinner time. Valeria had instanced on walking home with me but I managed to convince her that I was perfectly fine and healthy. And I was not going to pass out halfway there.

I stood at the front door to the Thompson's house and didn't even get to knock on it. Sandy faced me, her face pleading. "Please tell me you had a good day?"

Daniel appeared from behind and stated, "Asher punched another kid while Oliver bit the teacher."

My eyes widened at his statement and I dropped my bag onto the floor. Daisy greeted me with a wag of her tail, her butt shaking faster than her tail. "Great job, Dan. I wanted her to be honest with her answer."

"I'm pretty sure if she had burned the school down or stabbed another kid we would have had a telephone call by now. Besides she went home with Valeria, which means she is making friends," Daniel said as he set the table. "Am I right, North?"

I slowly nodded, not entirely sure why they would accuse me of such horrifying crimes. "I think so." I blinked before glancing around the house, noticing it was awfully quiet for once. "Where are my brothers?"

"They are in their room grounded," Daniel told me.

Sandy had a small pot of soup in her hands, she sat it on the table. "Can you tell the boys that dinner is ready?"

"Yeah." I rushed up the stairs before knocking on their bedroom door. Footsteps approached the door and it was long before Asher stood staring at me. Oliver laid on his bed cuddle with his stuffed bear. "Why did you do it?"

Asher burst into tears and I knelt to his height, holding his hands. "A kid told me that I was the reason why our parents left. That if I was good and listened then I would still be with them."

I smiled sadly and wiped his tears. Shaking my head I made him look at me. "Hey. Look at me. No matter how well you listened, they were just bad people. They never deserved any of us. We are safe now and don't you ever think that okay?" I pulled him into a hug and sniffed. The thought of Asher hitting a kid made me think of our father. His anger control his actions. I brought Asher to look at me and said, "Don't let your anger control your actions okay?"

He nodded and I walked over to Oliver. He stared at the wall, his expression blank. His blue eyes focused on mine and he clutched his bear tighter. "Why did you bite the teacher, Oliver?"

"A teacher told me to draw my family and I told her I did not have a mommy or daddy. She said I was lying but I wasn't," he said, his face sad.

"That does not give you a reason to bite her."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not the one that you need to say sorry to," I told him. "Your teacher doesn't know our... situation which is why she will soon. If you tell Daniel or Sandy they can explain that to her. Okay?" He nodded and I looked at both of my brothers. "Now let us go downstairs for dinner."

The boys followed me down the stairs quickly. I motioned for them to go and I slowed to a stop. I noticed that the voices had started to disappear, that the last 15 years never existed. But they did. I made my way down the steps and came face to face with my social worker.

"Mrs. Haley? What are you doing here?" I asked.

She gave me a worried look and sighed, "Sandy and Daniel need a little more time to think about their adoption. Not about you but the boys."

"But we've only been here for like three days."

Mrs. Haley nodded. "Yes but they've said the boys have caused more trouble than anything. They'll be with Mrs. Ellie while they think about their adoption. I'll do all in my power to make sure they are still with you."

I stood in front of my social worker and shook my head. "Please tell the Thompsons that they are making a grave mistake. We can't be separated. My brothers need me!"

Mrs. Haley looked at me and placed a hand on her shoulder. She gave me a sad expression and I stepped away. Mother was right... life is full of disappointment.