Shared name

"How are you feeling?" Principal Leeman asked me.

I shrugged "Well my face hurts and I just got humiliated in front of my peers. Brilliant!"
"I understand" he nodded "Jason got ten days of suspension."

I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing I wouldn't have to see him for a while (at least).
"But we were told that you pushed him..."
Instinctively, I shouted "After he punched me in the face! Is this because his mom's the superintendent?"
"James" he warned "Just stay at home tomorrow. You can stay in school for the rest of today, so you don't miss too much work. Now if you're okay to, go back to class."

Throughout the day, I asked my teachers if there was any important work I'd be missing. There wasn't. So at the end of the day, I headed through the parking lot towards the bus stop.

Two people were speaking aggressively at one another- Abbi and the boy I saw her with.

"Shut up, Seth, I want nothing to do with you. Can't you see that?" I could hear Abbi scream.
"So you're gonna try to end this? You really think you could?" the boy said softly, but firmly.

"Hey..." I started. Seth whirled around, obviously surprised. I waved at him, like a fucking dork, and smiled. "Abbi..."
"You know Abbi?" he snapped.
"Well I think a lot of people are aware that she exists, I'm not unique."

He snarled, somewhat intimidatingly. "You're the kid who got beat up, huh?"
I nodded.
"I suppose you can get beat up again" he stared down at me.
I shrugged "Well I'm already suspended, so honestly I don't give a shit."

It took a second, and I honestly thought he was going to start something, but he laughed loudly. "You're fucking ridiculous, both of you. Go, then, Abbi- spend time with this dumbass." He gave us both the finger and left to his car, still laughing.

We stood together for a bit, me and her.
"Are you okay?" I asked. Stupid question, really, she obviously wasn't. Still- it's what was expected. She sighed, in more of a frustrated way than anything else. "Yeah. Well no," she chuckled "But anyway, you wanna walk home together?" she smiled, already starting to walk.
"Like I walk you home?"
She shrugged "Sure, kinda like that, but less bodyguard and more just someone to listen."

So I listened. About Seth and how everything had been sour pretty much since the beginning. How often she tried to get rid of him and how many times she just couldn't. She flat-out told me she wasn't going to tell me everything, which made sense.

I hope one day she'll be able to tell me everything. Like feel comfortable enough, that sort of thing. I hope for a lot, and at least ninety percent of it circles back to Abbi.

But back to reality.

And in reality, it was raining. Again.