Ruby

Nia was up all night, while she loved the idea of having Ruby out there with her as a new Supergirl, seeing what was happening with Kara scared her. Ruby was so enthusiastic, but she had no experience at all in using her powers the way Kara did. Nia was happy to have someone that looked up to her, she didn't want to break Ruby's heart, not like her older sister had done to her so many times. She pads into the kitchen and runs the coffee maker, makes a cup, grabs a couple of donuts and heads out to the balcony, where she runs into Sam.

"Oh, hey Sam, sorry I didn't mean to interrupt," Nia says, stumbling over her words.

"You're not interrupting Nia, but something must be on your mind if you're up this early, or late?" Sam asked.

"It's Ruby" She answered, then paused "She wants to take Kara's place as Supergirl."

"Yes, I know, why is that on your mind? I thought you would be excited to have a partner." Sam asked, hoping she knew the answer.

"I am, I was, I don't want Ruby mad at me, but she isn't ready, she needs more training, more control," Nia said. "When I was younger, even today, my sister and I can't agree on anything, and with Nia, I don't want to spoil what we have."

"Nia, I am going to tell her no, I'm sure Kara would say the same thing you are, you have been doing this for about a year and a half now if you don't think she is ready, then she isn't. Just be honest with her, it's going to hurt her feelings, but in the long run, it's what is best for her."

"Yes, ma'am." Nia agreed "You mind if I sit out here with you for a bit?"

"Not at all Nia." Sam smiled.

Ruby woke up a few hours later, she saw her mom and Nia out on the balcony, so she made herself a glass of juice and grabbed an apple and headed out. "Hey mom, hey Nia."

"Hey baby, how'd you sleep?" Sam asked.

"Good," Ruby answered, slightly suspicious.

"Ruby, I need to say something and it's going to make you mad," Nia spoke up.

"What is it?" Ruby asked, a little harder than she meant to, but she had a feeling she knew what this was about.

"I know you want to be like Kara, I know you think you are ready, but I don't, and I didn't want to say anything because I have a really bad relationship with my sister and I don't want to mess up our friendship," Nia said rapidly, afraid she wouldn't be able to finish before Ruby got angry.

"But, I am ready, I can do everything that Aunt Kara can do!" Ruby yelled. "Why even bother helping me if you are just going to turn on me?"

"I'm not turning on you Ruby. I'm worried you might get hurt." Nia said, tears forming in her eyes.

"I can't get hurt, I'm invulnerable." Ruby snapped again.

"So is Kara, and look at what happened to her." Nia cried, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Do you really want to do that to your mom?"

Before Sam could stop Ruby from saying something she would regret the words tumbled from Ruby's mouth "Go away Nia, I don't want you here right now."

Nia's tears continued to flow as she stood to leave, Sam reached out to stop her, "Nia?"

"No Sam it's okay, I'm going to head into work today. Thank you for letting us get this out without interrupting. Tell Kara I'll see her later, please." Nia spoke softly, then turned and walked into the condo.

"Satisfied young lady." Sam snapped.

"Mom, I'm ready." Ruby snapped back.

"No, you're not, period." Sam said, "Get dressed and you better behave while you're visiting Kara."