16. THE DANGEROUS PATH

Era

Since that day they shot Henry behind bars, I'd never seen him, even in the news. His name never slipped between Mom's lips and we continued to live like Henry didn't enter our lives in the first place. Moreover, I got back to my recent university and old friends.

Things became normal as days passed by. But that was until one day when Cora and my friends invited me to the latest Super Bowl event.

"You're coming with us, Era! I wanted you to see those fucking hot Philadelphia Eagles in person!"

Even if I see them shirtless, Henry is miles away hotter than those bunch of players! I looked at Cora, uninterested. "Oh, yeah?"

"Hell, yeah! So, are you going with us or you are gonna be going with us, hmm?" She smiled from ear to ear.

"Fine!" I shouted, getting up the sofa and proceeded to my bedroom. "Just a sec. I'll dress up." Maybe there's nothing wrong about getting back to my friends. After all, they're the ones who have helped me cope with depression.

About what happened, all they knew was Henry tried to rape me. Mom told it to them and I had no power to object because deep within me, I still felt ashamed.

The Super Bowl rolled in front of my eyes slower than I thought... or it's just for me. I don't know. Maybe I was just so bored despite looking at those good-looking guys in suits with their bodies as tough as rock. But thanks to Justin Timberlake's half-hour concert. It made me smile for seconds.

The event was finished. I thought my life would be at peace at last. However, when I stood up from the plastic stool, Cora pulled my arms, and before I could ask her why I realized we're standing in front of one of the football players.

"He's the newest quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles!" Cora giggled, shaking me.

"Hey, stop it!" From Cora, I shifted my sight to the man in a fitted green uniform. His broad back faced us as he signed for autographs and let other fans get some selfies with him. "Ackles?" I whispered, realizing the printed word on his back. Then my eyes widened when Cora screamed his name and that tall man turned his attention to us. "Wait, he is..."

"Ackles! Right here!"

The next thing I knew, Ackles was standing next to us. Cora was screaming and giggling as she let the man sign his name on her bare neck.

"There you go..." The man said.

Cora touched her neck and gasped, "Oh, my God. I can feel you kissing my neck! Thanks for this, Ackles!" Then she tapped me. "How about you, Era? Where do you want him to sign your autograph?" she winked.

Though I wanted to twist Cora's neck, my eyes remained on Ackles. And before I could utter another word, I found myself inside his arms.

"Hey, Era..." he whispered. "How are you? It's been a long time."

I saw Cora's mouth drop. She stepped closer to us, making Timothy lessen his embrace. Yes, it's Timothy Ackles. Henry's former assistant and used to become my very close friend.

"I'm... I'm good." I smiled shyly, looking at his sweaty but still fresh-looking face. I'd also noticed his shoulders and chest became broader. "S-so... you're into football now, huh."

Timothy chuckled. He was about to answer when Cora interrupted. "Alright! So you know each other, eh!" she laughed. Then pulled me closer to her, whispering, "Why didn't you tell me you hang up with a Philadelphia Eagle?!"

"What?" I frowned.

Cora narrowed her eyes but eventually smiled. "You're fucking lucky, girl! I'll leave you too, okay. But later, I'll phone you. Bye! Enjoy!" She gestured her fingers on her ears like a phone and winked before turning her back on us.