23 - Silence

It was as silent as ever between Naruto and Hinata. It was never like this.

All there was to be heard was Naruto's pen scribbling down answers and their breathing.

Not even the clock dared to get a say.

It was finally Sunday, and the following day is Monday, the day of the exams.

10 AM. An early start.

Neither went to come and join Kushina and Minato for breakfast.

Naruto's tongue glided along his lips, trying moisten it up. Never have he remained this quiet before.

But Hinata sat still, as if she was trained never to move her entire life. Sitting silently, she could be easily mistaken with a china doll.

"I need to pass all of these!"

Naruto's mind was screaming.

This might be his only chance to make her smile at him again.

"As soon as I check, I have to leave..."

Hinata never felt so tense.

She wanted to leave as soon as possible, she had enough.

"Hinata, I-"

Naruto cut himself off as Hinata's eyes met his.

He was caught off guard.

Her eyes. They held nothing. They were lacking from emotion. It was not dull, it was not bright.

He never saw her like this before.

He'd seen this look before.

From Sasuke.

From Neji.

Both had the same look when they first met.

And he could tell it was the same look she has.

Hinata wants nothing to do with Naruto.

He shook his head and lowered it, continuing to answer on the mock test.

He held himself back from putting his aggression to the paper from the pen, he didn't want to rip it, he didn't want to ruin it with erasures. After all, it was Hinata who have written it all down.

- - - - -

Something went down between the two, but Kushina couldn't tell what.

Not even Minato could make a guess. Or who is upset.

Even Neji was confused. Hinata had called early in the morning to say that she wanted to go home early. It was really unlike her.

- - - - -

With one final stroke of the pen, Naruto added the period.

"Alright, I'm done!" He cheered.

And there he went with another attempt to make her smile.

He grinned brightly at her and said "Hey, thanks for-"

Bzzz!...

"Thanks for-"

Bzzz!...

"Thanks for-!"

Bzzzzzzz!!

"M-Maybe you should take y-your phone" Hinata said "I-I'll be in the guest room t-to check"

"Hinata..." Naruto called as she quickly picked up the papers and head out the door, "Hinata, wait... Hinata!"