Perspective ♣

I was there when all this was happening, helpless and for the most part unaware of the world of suffering I brought upon.

It was about a couple of months after Joseph's died, the Marco Publishing House called me, a lady with a raspy voice.

"you know something, Mr. Khanna we really liked your recent submissions and we think we can sustain a working relationship that will be beneficial for both of us. We are releasing a book Internationally in a few months. The book has been a national hit and is sure to establish itself in the global market"

"So..."

"Under some contractual obligations, the original author has refused to align himself with us anymore... But since the company owns the rights to the material he composed, he has agreed to relinquish his claims from the book"

"Cut to the chase, please. it's 6 in the morning, if you want me to finish his leftovers, I will do it. I will take payment in advance..."

"Patience Ankit" she spoke to me in a condescending tone "you need to let me finish"

She continued...

"He is not just giving up his material but his Name rights as well. He has till now hid his identity from the public. So, the company hopes you to replace him under the pen-name"

There was silence on each side of the receiver

"Why Me?"

"Don't think highly of yourself, we are just replacing you because you're writing style his indistinguishable to his, after careful deliberation we have come to the conclusion that you are the best candidate to displace him" her tone lacked any empathy... like she was desperately trying to remind me of my insignificance. He implied that I'm only a single aspirant and anyone would be happy to be in my position. A nasty corporate she had become.

"What do you want from me, to write sequels?"

"not for the time being, we will be doing a face reveal the publics been demanding. So, for right now, you sign autographs and take pictures. If the books a hit... as we assumed, you can write a sequel"

"I want to publish my own stuff"

She laughed and laughed for ten seconds straight. She turned to cough

"you know what this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Many out their will literally kill for this. They are offering you to be a star and be adored by millions..."

"What's the point if they are not mine?" I said like I were in a cheesy soap opera. The other end again went silent.

"if you're good then, they might even publish your own stories. But no promises over this and don't ask about it in front of the superiors"

she continued

"Don't let this go... Take it from me, you will be tied in a suit before you know it" I felt like she had a broken dream, a dream that haunts her every now and then.

"ok, I accept the offer but don't pay me in peanuts... alright?"

"Well, I can promise you that. So, you need to work now... I am sending you a copy of the book on your email, read and analyse every piece of it. Make it your own. Rewrite it and... start by coming up with an autograph."

"what do I sign as?" I asked picking up a pen and waiting to inscribe it down on the wooden chair

"KING POLARIS, that spells K-I-N-G P-O-L-A-R-I-S"

X

You must never in a thousand years know when a simple phone call can do for your life. That single conversation gave me two things I will forever be grateful for.