Fragile wings- chp3: i am dead already

CHAPTER 3- I am dead already

My eyes flit open to the sound of a screech, a haunting sound, i have always been afraid of the dark... and in a strange castle being, surprisingly, over comfortable and the darkness that engulfed around me. What scared me most? I couldn’t hear Tala; her steady pant, her wet breath on my cheek, her warmth pressed against me, shielding me from the nightmares and the darkness.

I slipped my leg out into the cold night air, letting the heat of my body ease off a bit, so i could think straight.

A noise came up in my throat; a strange gulping sound. Another thing i was scared of –other than darkness and no Tala?- silence. The haunting silence, silence is unnatural, it’s meant for the dead, not the living. Silence is a sign of something wrong.

I gulped like a fish again, and reassured myself that nobody’s there. No one has come to scare me. To kill me. To rape me. To hurt me. STOP IT. I shook my head, i was just making things worse for myself. If someone was here... in my room... with me. They would have already done what they came for. I am dead already if they came to kill me and they are here. I am weak and anybody could over-power me with a flick of their wrist. I am dead already. And for some reason chanting this to myself was strangely reassuring. Try it sometime, it works.

I am dead already.

I am dead already.

I am dead already. The shriek pierces the silence again. The shriek of a rustle door, protesting hinges. I jumped to the sound staring into the darkness, hoping to see the maker of the noise...

I am dead already. The  door clicks as in closing.

I’m dead already. The muffled sound of footsteps on the carpet.

Dead already. They step closer.

I’m dead. The strong feeling of a presence hovered above my head

Dead...