Chapter 3

When Faye turned seven, Asher gave her a large set of watercolor paints and her mom gave her a set of acrylic paints. This helped Faye fall deeper into her bedroom and the imaginary world she was painting for herself.

Asher, who had graduated high school last year, watched her with concern.

Faye finished first grade with all As. A couple weeks after school finished - after Elias left for summer school - Asher sat down across from Faye at the table. "How are you doing Faye?" He asked her. Faye scooped a spoonful of cereal into her mouth and chewed it. "What?" She asked after she finished the bite. Asher studied her. "Faye you're only seven years old, and now you are home all day, you make all your own food and you are alone for a couple hours a day."

Faye shrugged and continued to eat her cereal. Asher sighed as he stood and grabbed his bag. "I'll see you after work. Mom should be home by noon." He told her. "Ok." Faye replied, her attention mostly on her cereal,

Later that night, as Faye was trying to sleep, she heard Asher and Ari arguing. Faye couldn't understand what they were saying, so she rolled over and tried to fall asleep.

A couple weeks passed like normal. Faye painted, talked to Elias on the phone once a week, and just went about her life like normal. Until one day, Faye's mom didn't come home from work at noon when she was suppose to. An hour later, Asher walked in the front door. "Hey Faye." He greeted her. Faye looked up from the book she had been reading at the kitchen table. "Where's Mom?" She asked.

Asher glanced over tot he driveway. "At work, I guess. She will be home soon. I have a, uh, thing to do. Come with me." Faye glanced at him, then set down her book. "Where are we going?" She asked. "You'll see." Asked replied as he locked the front door behind them. Faye shrugged and got into the backseat of Asher's car. "Hi Moni." She greeted Asher's girlfriend. Monique smiled. "Hey Faye. What did you paint today?"

Asher pulled into a driveway a couple minutes later. "Here we are." He said. Faye looked at the small house in front of them. "Where are we?" She asked. Asher smiles as he opened his door. "Come check it out." He invited. Faye was confused, but she followed Asher and Monique into the house. "This is cute." Faye commented. "Who's house is this?"

"It's ours. Monique and I bought a house. And we would really like it if you would come with us and live here too." Asher told her. Faye glanced at Monique. "Come here Faye. This is going to be your room." She told Faye. "And what Asher forgot to mention is that he asked me to marry him." Faye's eyes widened. "You're getting married?" She asked. "Yep." Asher replied.

Faye grinned and ran over to hug her brother. And that was the second big change in Faye's life. She moved in with her older brother. Now, everyday while Asher was at work, Monique came over and stayed with Faye.