Chapter One-The Questioning

A/N: Pic above is Jennifer Carbera. Pic below is Jacob Thrombey.

Detective Blanc could tell that his companions were getting frustrated with Jacob Thrombey; the boy couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from his phone, and only gave short, monosyllabic answers to their questions.

"So, what happened when you saw Jennifer at the party?" The Nazi Child, as his family called him, shrugged.

"Not much." 

"Could you tell us?"

"I'd rather not."

And that was when the girl poked her head round the door. Her eyes were a bright, inquisitive grey-blue and her hair was straight and tawny, like a lion's mane.

"I was told you wanted to see me, detective?" she asked quietly, addressing Detective Blanc. Interesting how she looked straight at him instead of his companions; he was hidden in the shadows, so not one of the family had really seemed to notice him until about halfway through their interviews. This girl seemed different in that way.

"Yes, but not now!" Linda Drysdale hissed from outside the room, and the girl's face crumpled. But Detective Blanc had seen the way Jacob had brightened at the sight of her and instinctively moved to put his phone away. Why was that? Blanc looked curiously over at the girl and found her staring back at him.

She could tell, from the way the policemen were seated, that the detective was the one in charge; seated in the shadows, so he was overseeing everything, he was clearly the most observant, the most analytical of the lot. Marta wouldn't stand a chance against him. But maybe there was more to the situation than it seemed, because she was absolutely certain that her older sister couldn't have killed Harlan. 

Anyway, the detective was staring straight at her. All of them were, including Jacob, though he quickly looked away; he knew how uncomfortable she was when undue attention was fixed on her. She felt herself begin to tremble.

"I'm sorry," she whispered nervously, and moved to leave.

"Wait. Your name is Jennifer, isn't it?" Detective Blanc asked her. The girl hesitated, then nodded. "In that case, come and sit next to Jacob." Jennifer darted over to Jacob's side and sat down beside him, wringing her bandaged hands fretfully. The boy put a stop to it by gently prising them apart, his hand curling protectively over hers. This didn't go unnoticed by Detective Blanc. Jacob (you couldn't really call him the Nazi Child anymore, after that display of care) met his gaze seriously, and Blanc finally understood; Jennifer didn't like the spotlight. He gestured to his comrades to continue the investigation, inclining his head towards Jacob as he did so.