CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

It was winter and the fireplace was crackling with heat. Vera sat close to the fire, drinking out of a wine glass. The liquid was sweet and spread a pleasant warmth in her stomach. It flowed into her muscles, making her feel renewed and energetic. She stared ahead, concentrating on the fire and all it’s red glory. The wood was orange and bright with anger. It’s light reflected in her soft green and silver speckled eyes. She shut them as the door swung open. She did not turn. By the deep sensation that rose in her chest, she knew immediately who had entered. 

“Vera,” a sweet voice said.

“Hello, Evangeline. How was the show?” Vera asked, not taking her eyes off the fire.

“Splendid. Lucas had to leave early, though. His brother was in some sort of trouble again and he had to make a sudden trip to Alaska”

Lucas, Evangeline’s lover of one hundred and fifty years had a brother whom Evangeline and Vera had never met. Lucas himself has seen his brother Alexander every few years over the last century when he left to protect Lucas. A group of vampires who call themselves The Serpents have been after him for a very long time. It seems that they just don't know when to call it a day, Vera thought. Alexander had killed one of the serpents and this was a huge mistake. Lucas tried his best to help his brother but there was only so much he could do.

“When will he be back?” Vera asked curiously. She sipped from her glass again. The blood had a thick consistency and stained her pale pink lips.

Vera had never met Lucas’ brother, but she assumed he would be a good man, as Lucas was. Alexander had given up everything he had for a life on the run to protect the only family he had left, and Vera knew first hand that this was not an easy task. Lucas took very good care of Evangeline. Ever since Vera had met Evangeline all those years ago, she’d been very protective. Evangeline was like a sister to her and the closest thing to family she had ever known. They shared a sacred bond. Vera, now five hundred years old, has never left Evangeline's side. She was turned when she was twenty two and met Evangeline shortly after. She hid her secret from a Evangeline for years, becoming the closest of friends. Until finally, Evangeline put two and two together. Her family had died when she was young, as Vera's had. Vera wanted to spend eternity with Evangeline, knowing that their friendship would be one that would last forever, so she turned Evangeline, making them forever bonded in an unbreakable friendship that most vampires have with one's they've turned.

“I’m not completely sure,” Evangeline said with a frown. “He said maybe a week, two weeks tops. They might be fighting The Serpents in Alaska, but he assured me that they would have plenty of help from the many vampires on their side that also want to see an end to this pathetic army of blood thirsty barbarians, if it should come to that.” A hint of anger began to burn in Evangeline's throat. 

“Love,” Vera said in a reassuring tone, feeling the anger radiating from Evangeline's body. “Come here,” she whispered patting the spot next to her on the carpet. Evangeline approached Vera with a worried look plastered on her delicate face and sat, admiring the fireplace that burned before them. 

“They’ll be alright. Lucas is very powerful and I’m sure his brother is as well. They’ve been alive for over seven hundred years. They’ll be fine. And, if anything, I would be glad to call in help of my own,” Vera cooed as she warped her arms around Evangeline’s shoulder. Evangeline sunk down and buried her face into Vera’s arm.

“I hope so. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost Lucas. I love him so. Who would you call in to help?”

Evangeline was worried about Lucas. If she had lost him, it would be one of the most painful things she'd ever go though. She wasn't sure she could survive without him. They met long ago and knew that they were meant for each other at first sight. Their obvious bond was strong, unlike the bonds either had ever felt before. A vampire will experience several bonds in their life time, but only one of them is meant to last. This bond they shared, it was forever.

“Jeremiah and Anna. They owe me a favor, so if it does come to that, then I will not hesitate to call,” Vera said smiling, trying to comfort her worried sister. She kissed her forehead. “I know you're worried," she said quietly, feeling the fearful emotions seeping through Evangeline's pores "But he will be fine. Don’t worry, love, it’ll be alright. I know it,” she said with a thoughtful smile.

Her smile faded as she looked back into the fire. It did not do much to her. The heat was as if it wasn’t there at all. If anything, it felt more like dead air and it made her horribly uncomfortable, as it did when she was human. The heat was never pleasant to Vera. She continued to stare into the fire. The discomfort made her feel human, as if nothing had changed. But so much had.