CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

“If she’s gone for much longer, the pain will begin to kick in,” Evangeline said with a worried look. “Hopefully it won’t come to that,” she sighed, looking into Lucas’ deep brown eyes. She could tell he was as worried as she was. If Vera did not come back in the next few hours, Alexander would begin to experience an extreme amount of pain. From the first moment you have realized that you are bonded by love to a certain person, you cannot be away from each other for about a month, otherwise both will suffer an indescribable pain. Not only will the pain be uncontrollable, but so will the thirst. Only the blood of the one you are bonded to can quench the thirst in the beginning. 

“I hope it doesn’t. She’s been gone for a little over a day, I’m sure she’ll be back soon. We’ve got time,” Lucas said with a frown. He was worried about his brother, but he knew Vera had her reasons for running away from the situation. She was never one to run, Lucas knew this, but when it came to love, Vera wasn't strong enough. Not anymore.

Alexander walked into the room, his eyes wearily glancing around the room. He sat down on the couch and stared into the fire place. 

“God, I’m thirsty,” he growled. He clutched his chest, looking for that warmth. Nothing, he thought. She's gone. Alexander could not ignore the emptiness inside him, as if something he could not live without was suddenly gone. He sighed.

“Why did she leave? I just don’t understand. The feeling I had, it... It was the strongest I’d ever felt, and I know she felt it to,” He said turning to Lucas and Evangeline. Alexander looked back into the fire, wondering if Vera would ever come back. The first image of her flashed into his mind. That bra and those underwear, that sexy hair that suited her absolutely perfectly. Her full, pale pink lips, the curve of her jaw, her collar bone, her neck, her veins, her blood... Alexander's pupils dilated and his fangs pushed out from in between his lips, a yearning groan escaping them as well.

“Alexander...” Evangeline said as she sat down on the couch. “There’s something you should know about Vera.” Alexander turned his attention towards Evangeline, desperately wanting to know why Vera has left him so quickly. He was craving her, he wanted nothing more than to be around her, to feel that amazing heat. But she was gone and the only heat was the one pouring from the fireplace. 

“Vera... She was only bonded once before. His name was Hector, and she met him in 1863, when she was three hundred and fifty three years old. They were madly in love and very happy. Hector was killed in 1940 by a vampire with a grudge and when he died, he took a little piece of Vera with him. She vowed she’d never love again. And then you come and all these feelings come back to her... She’s just not ready for it. Her body, it want’s you more than anything in the world. But her heart isn’t ready to love again,” Evangeline said glancing at Alexander sympathetically. She couldn't imagine what Vera was doing. She hoped that she was alright. Evangeline knew that looking for Vera wouldn't make a difference. If she didn't want to be found, there was no way anyone could find her. Vera knew England like the back of her hand.

Alexander had been bonded twice before, but they did not last. She must have really loved this man, Alexander thoughtFor a moment, Alexander was jealous of Hector. He wanted Vera's love, he needed it. Vampires know when a bond is not going to last because that burning feeling, that terrible, amazing, addicting feeling begins to fade over time. But it was far to early to tell if he and Vera were meant to be together forever.

“So, she’s not over him, is what you’re trying to say?”

“No” Evangeline, sighed. “She is over Hector. She has been, she knows they were not meant for each other, but she loved him none the less. They were very close friends." Evangeline glanced back at Lucas whose eyebrows were furrowed into an unreadable expression.