CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

“Evangeline? Is that you?”

“Yes. Are you alright?”

“I am. I was just wondering where you were. The house seems utterly empty without you,” Vera whispered into the phone with a hint of boredom in her voice. Alexander was fast asleep and she sat in front of the fire place basking in it’s heat.

“Shouldn’t you be canoodling with Alexander? The noise you two made last night was pretty loud, to put it lightly,” Evangeline laughed. Her voice was light and airy. “Me and Lucas are in the country. We decided to escape a little bit. Since it won’t be six months till we get any sort of threat, we headed out to the country to the old farm” 

“Oh, that’s nice,” Vera said with a fake smile. She was a bit jealous. If she could just run away to somewhere beautiful right now, she would. But she couldn’t physically bear being away from Alexander.

“How is the farm these days? Holding up, I hope?” Vera said in a sarcastic tone. It was dark out, maybe one in the morning. Vera and Alexander had spent the day lounging around the house. Most of it was time spent in bed enjoying their new found attraction.

Lucas owned a small farm on the outskirts of England where he and Evangeline once lived. Vera could remember it exactly. There was a small field of sunflowers that lead to a pretty white cottage. The inside was quaint, with shades of green and bright yellow. Vera especially remembered the sunflowers that Evangeline would spread through the house, setting them into jars of water on the window sills. 

“It’s good, actually. Lucas had done some repairs. He's going to put up a new roof eventually.” Vera could hear the smile in Evangeline’s tone. She was glad that she was happy. Vera couldn’t stand to see her any other way.

“I’m going to go wake Alexander, he’s been asleep for quite some time”

“Alright. How are things going between the two of you?” Evangeline asked curiously.

“Good. I told him about my mother and the tattoo. But I don’t know much about him, to be honest,” Vera sighed. “He is sweet though. And gorgeous. I’ll give him that,” She said with a laugh, throwing her head back and shutting her eyes. "And thank you. For taking care of me when I came home," Vera said in a serious tone. She didn't like people waiting on her.

“Don't think anything of it. You're my sister. We take care of each other," Evangeline said with a smile. “I’ll speak to you soon. I’m not sure how long we are going to be out here, but you and Alexander feel free to go on your own little vacation,” She said with a quick goodbye and hung up.

Vera looked into the fire. There was a gust of wind and a hot breath against her neck. She closed her eyes. 

“You’re awake” Vera wondered if Alexander heard what she had told Evangeline.

Alexander inhaled briskly but sat on the floor next to Vera, resting his head against the back of the couch. He was wearing a thin white t-shirt and jeans. 

“I was twenty two and Lucas was twenty” he said as he brushed back his stringy black hair. It was moist and shiny. “The year was 1320. Lucas and I were invited to a ball. There were girls in beautiful ball gowns with umbrellas and flirtatious smiles on their faces” he smiled as he remembered the chilly evening, but the smile faded quickly. “Two girls lead me and Lucas to a back room. We followed. We were young and they were beautiful. When their spell on us was finally lifted, we’d realized what they were. But it was too late. They slit out wrists open and slit their own so that we could exchange blood. We tried to fight back but they were remarkably strong. They left us after, draining us nearly dry. The change was unbearably painful. I thought I was surely going to die. But I didn’t, and neither did Lucas. We ended up having to learn on our own with no guidance. But we learned quickly” he has a smirk on his face. Vera sat quietly, her face turned to Alexander.

“My favorite color is blue, I love the wilderness and I’m quite the ladies man” he said now turning to look at Vera, his eyes soft. “And now you know something about me”

Vera looked at him intently and smiled a bit, looking back into the fire. “I suppose I do”

“Now, tell me about how you were turned” Alexander said glancing down at his hands. They had many battle scars and he blinked wearily. 

“My parents died in a terrible fire when I was quite young, as I told you before. I was put into an orphanage and ended up living there for most of my life. When I was nineteen years of age I was walking to the market at night. The air was cold and snow was white all around me” she smiled and looked back at Alexander. “I loved the snow as a child. I never did like hot weather, even now” she said looking back at the fire. “I was walking back from the market with a basket of apples. They were expensive that season but I had saved enough money to purchase a few of them for the orphanage. Shiny, red apples” she said as she remembered the amazing taste of fruit. She never did taste it again. “I didn’t see who bit me, but before I knew it I was lying in the snow, all of it red around me. The man who fed on me knew I was going to die, so he changed me and left. And that was that” she said coldly. After a few moments, she glanced at Alexander, who was staring straight ahead. His eyes were hard and his forehead was wrinkled in disgust. The thought of another man feeding on Vera made him uncomfortable. He didn’t like the idea, not at all. The expression on his face faded quickly.

“Let’s go out and get away from this pity fest, shall we? Anywhere you want” he said with a smirk as he stood up off the floor, stretching his arms.

“Anywhere? Let me just go pack, then” Vera said standing. She was still wearing Alexanders shirt. As she walked towards her room, he felt hands on her hips. Alexanders nose rubbed against her neck and Vera laid her head back against his chest, closing her eyes and concentrating on his intoxicating smell. 

“The way you walk; it’s very majestic” he whispered into her ear. Vera turned and wrapped her arms around his neck, not being able to control herself. She gave him a slow, passionate kiss, taking his bottom lip in between hers, kissing it a few times and giving it a playful bite. Alexander moaned a bit. 

“I really must go pack if we’re going to go anywhere anytime soon,” she whispered.

“What’s the rush? We’ve got eternity, Vera” Alexander said in a husky tone as he picked Vera up and carried her to his room. She didn't protest, she couldn’t.