CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

 “It’s been a week and I haven’t heard from Lucas yet, Vera. What if he’s hurt? Dead, even? Oh god,” Evangeline said, collapsing on the couch. The empty feeling in her stomach was growing. She sipped from her glass, savoring the gooey liquid. 

“Maybe we should go to Alaska,” she said standing up and placing the glass on the table. “We can go help them!” She yelled into the next room. “Vera, will you please come out,” she stammered, clearly annoyed.

Vera walked out of her room, shielding herself from the small ray of sunshine coming through the window. The sun made her tired and gloomy. She avoided it most of the time. She tied her robe, covering her body. “It’s four in the afternoon, Evangeline. I’m exhausted. I’m sure they’ll be fine. Just relax, if they’re not back in another week, I will make the calls, alright?,” Vera sighed. She watched as Evangeline paced back and forth across the living room. He strides were long and full of fear, but strong none the less.

“Will you just relax,” Vera said, her eyes now wide open. “Well, I can’t go back to bed now,” she sighed. “I’m going to take shower, alright? I’ll be right out and we can go to the blood bank. We’re almost out,” she said as she walked back to her room. 

“Alright,” Evangeline said with a hint of disappointment, slowly sitting back down on the couch, wondering if the love of her life would ever return. 

Vera entered her room, removed her silk robe and entered the bathroom. It’s tiles were a spring green color and they surrounded her with a soft light. Her skin was smooth and pale against black shower curtain. She turned on the water; not really caring about it’s temperature, she stood under  it, letting it cover her, making her skin feel like silk. Vera ran her fingers through her very short hair, pushing it back. Her hands wandered over her body, letting the water envelope her completely. Suddenly, Vera’s chest begin to burn and she could feel an overwhelming happiness and relief wash over her. Evangeline, she thought smiling as the water ran over her lips. Lucas must be home. The feeling faded quickly as Vera stepped out of the shower, turning off the water and drying herself off with a towel. I should get dressed and go see Lucas to find out what happened.

“LUCAS!” Evangeline yelled, wrapping her arms around Lucas’ neck and kissing him with great force. “I’ve missed you,” Lucas whispered into Evangeline's neck, his velvety voice echoing in her ears. The empty feeling in her belly had faded and was now replaced with this unbelievable sense of warmth. Lucas had finally returned. “I missed you too,” she said breaking their embrace, looking at him lovingly for a moment and caressing his cheek.

“You must be Alexander,” Evangeline said with a welcoming smile, stepping away from Lucas.

“I am,” he said with a nod. “I’ve heard a lot about you,” Alexander said glancing at Lucas. His eyes wandered around the apartment. It was large with a beautiful stone fireplace and a balcony with french doors. It's design was beautiful and looked like something out of a victorian home in England. The walls were a navy blue color and the couch was black velvet. They've got great taste, Alexander thought. An interesting scent hit his nose, but he ignored it.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Evangeline. Thank you for letting me stay at your beautiful home,” he said with a polite smile. He wanted to make a good first impression with Evangeline. She must have been worried sick about Lucas and Alexander partially blamed himself for separating them.

“Oh, of course,” she said smiling. “You’re family, Alexander. Would you guys like something to drink?” she asked the both of them.

“Yes, we haven’t drank in hours,” Lucas said hoarsely, now feeling the burning thirst in his veins.