Chapter 10

Maeve looked at the man cautiously, was he... the abuser?
He could kill her there and then. Maeve couldn't take any chances. She swore that she'd make sure the girl got out alive. Not as a body.
Not as a corpse.
None of that.
The girl was shivering. The worst thing was that Maeve didn't know if it was from the cold or from the fear the man gave her.
Maeve couldn't give herself away, blow her own cover...
She was only going to leave them for a little bit, to find the reinforcements, the people.
To people to crack this whole case open, find the evidence and save the girl.
They actually had all they needed, but anything that would help seemed to be great as well.
Bubbles felt Jack gripping onto one of her older bruises. it was on the outer but of her arm. He had his arm wrapped around her back, gripping as if there was no tomorrow.
He wasn't scared.
Bubbles was so close to being able to leave.
Boomer gave her so much hope.
Hope.
Is it gone?
The lady of 'some profession' (?) stepped out of the mansion and that was when all hell broke loose.
This was the last straw, apparently Jack had enough.
He pulled her by her hair, not even listening to her pleas or muttering.
It was just like before.
All those other times.
That's what she thought.
Until it was too late.
She didn't see it coming.
She never did.
Nor did Maeve, or Boomer.
No one saw it.
Unlike all the other times, Jack dragged her into the bathroom, and held onto her waist. not even hearing what she had to say.
He twisted the 'hot' tap for the bathtub, and all the water cane running through the faucet.
Jack kept another hand on Bubbles' mouth, ignoring her tears that were starting to run onto his veiny fingers. She tried to scream, catch some attention.
Too late.
They were all too late.
All of them.
Too.
Late.
He pushed her in, the scalding hot water was what hit her first. She tried to fight back. Bubbles pushed and pulled, tugged and even scratched. She had to live on, survive through this. Be a survivor.
For her future.
With or without Boomer.
Then he held her down, her sudden and chocking breaths bubbling through the water.
He was so into it. Jack plead guilty.
Boomer blamed himself, for everything.
For her life.
For her dead future.
For her.
Jack kept her down, one hand on her mouth and the other hand on the neck.
He was so determined, if she didn't die from drowning, she would have to die from lack of oxygen.
Die.
A short word.
Only 3 letters.
But could hold such meaning and such remorse.
Hatred.
Blame.
Bubbles didn't want to sleep. She fought.
It wasn't until the armed forces pulled him back, that she had her last breath.
Outwards.
And she never breathed in again.
Her skin, pale.
Her eyes, bluer than the brightest sapphire.
Her will, stronger than anyone else he had ever known.
She fought, on and on. It was too late when they found out.

Bubbles Utonium
1998-2019

She was too young.
She was only 21.
She never got to live the life she could have had.

'I love you. Bubbles Utonium.'

Boomer whispered through his tears as he huddled into a small crowd of his brother and Bubbles' sisters, all comforting him.

This story reminded him everyday, everywhere he went, if you really love someone, tell them before it's too late.
Before you lose them.