T

The moment my parents left the hotel room to get a drink, the operation had begun. Desi called me, whispering into his microphone. “Which door should I go through?” 

    I turned my phone onto speaker mode to reply, “Go to the left side of the building and there should be a side entrance. I’ll meet you down there and let you in.” I finished up my layer of mascara and hung up. Sandals adorned my feet as I grabbed a room key and left. 

    Every time I turned in the hall, I felt adrenaline rush through my veins at the thought of being caught by my parents. My heart beat quicker and quicker with every step, feelings of anxiety intertwining with excitement. I made it down to the first floor successfully. Upon arriving at the door, I peered through the window to watch for Desi. 

    He showed up in my peripheral vision. I turned my head and saw his outfit; a pair of nice jeans and a button-up. Fancy was a good look on him. We grinned at each other through the glass before I opened the door. 

    Immediately, he threw our bodies together and planted his lips on mine. My first kiss. 

    I’d never felt something that made me so full of feelings and warmth. Desiderio’s hands grasped strongly at my hip-bones and my hands found their way to his biceps. He straightened up while keeping our lips together, raising me up to my tip-toes. Soon enough, our mouths were separated and we were panting for breath. “Let’s go to your room,” He whispered on my neck. 

    I no longer had any care in the world other than Desi. Irresponsibly, we laughed and ran up to my hotel room. Desi and I flopped onto the pullout couch. Our two hour time frame had just begun. 

    “What do you think happens after we die?” Desi wondered, turning his head to face me. I lay on my side to mirror his position and shrugged. “My dad says everyone goes to heaven but I’m pretty sure there’s gotta be some people going down under.” 

    I giggled as he made a dramatic pointing gesture to the floor. “Like who?”

    Desi made a thinking face before stating the most obvious answer, “People like Hitler.”

    “Most people aren’t like him, though.”

    “True,” He muttered. “What do you think happens when we die?” He repeated his question. His intent stares forced me to think of a genuine answer.

    “Probably nothing.”

    “What, so like we’re just gone?”

    “Pretty much,” I said before realizing how boring that answer probably was. “But I do like the thought of really bad people being tortured for eternity.”

    “Who would that be?” Desiderio asked before rolling his eyes and saying, “other than Hitler.”

    “Murderers, rapists,” I stopped to think. “And pedophiles.”

    Desi looked surprised for a moment. He then said, “What’s so bad about pedos?”

    I opened my mouth in shock and sat up. “You’re not serious.” I stared into Desi’s face. His sparkly eyes didn’t have their usual flair as he followed my motions. “Think about what you just said for a second.”

    Desi kept up his dead stare before bursting out in laughter. “I was just kidding!” He exclaimed. “I completely agree with you.” 

    I remained skeptical and I knew Desiderio could see that. Slowly, he leaned into me and whispered, “Let’s change the subject now.” I felt his breath on me once again. All I wanted to do was reach out and pull him in, but my innocent mind couldn’t get past what he had said. What’s so bad about pedos? 

    “Why did you say that?” Desi ignored my question and began drawing light circles on my knee, a habit of his. “Tell me why you said that.” 

    His eyes were rolled as he replied, “I thought it would be funny but clearly it wasn’t. Why are you so uptight?” I scrunched my eyebrows together. I was not uptight, I had snuck him into my strict parents’ hotel room for God’s sake! “Kidding again, I really should be more clear with my sarcasm, shouldn’t I?” 

    I breathed out deeply and tried to let it go. Desi and I gave out a few chuckles before his hand on my knee started traveling upward. “What are you doing, Desi?” I asked nervously. 

    “Please let me kiss you.” 

    I giggled, cupping his strong chin with my hand. “You already have, dummy.” Any previous thoughts or suspicions I had about him had shrunk when my distraction grew. Desiderio gave me one look that caused me to practically melt into his arms.

    And then we were kissing. And kissing. And kissing. Our only interruption was my phone alarm letting me know Desi had to leave.

    And he did, with no goodbye.