E

That night, my last on the island of Grand Cayman, I lay in my bed, curled up into a ball and horrified. To think that I had loved a clearly pedophilic and homicidal man. Desiderio disgusted me, and I was disgusted by myself for being so oblivious. 

    After my parents were both sound asleep, I pulled out my phone and went to Desiderio and I’s text conversations. My tears were allowed to flow freely as I read through everything we’d said to each other.  All the flirting, the meaningful convos, and the sexting, it had all been an act. He just liked being with little girls. 

    A shudder went through my body at that thought. I turned off my phone and threw it across the room, flinching and listening for a cracking sound immediately after. No sound could be heard, though, as it landed on a pillow on the floor next to my parents' bed. Lucky shot.

    My thoughts were no longer distracted from Desiderio as I layed back down. He was the only thing on my mind. Except this time, instead of wonderful thoughts of his hot body and flirty accent, all I could think about was his rotten soul. What he had done.

    Images of us making out flew through my head, and soon I felt myself gagging. Springing out of bed and running to the bathroom, I puked my dinner into the toilet. When there was nothing left to throw up, I just kept dry heaving until I was sobbing on the floor. That’s where I fell asleep.

~~~

    I woke up the next morning to my father shouting. The bathroom door burst open, causing me to jump in surprise. “Wha-”

    “What the fuck is this!?” My dad screamed, grabbing the front of my shirt and yanking me to my feet. He practically shoved my phone in his face and revealed the texts between Desiderio and I. My eyes widened and I opened and closed my mouth, not knowing what to say. I’d never imagined him finding them. 

    “I said, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?”

    Tears began to stream down my face again, that time due to fear. “Dad, please, let me explain.”

    “FUCKING DO IT THEN!” He hollered. Before I could comprehend what he was doing, I felt a harsh slap on my face. My head whipped the side and I shouted as it stung. My father set my phone on the bathroom countertop and stormed out of the room.

    From their bed, I could hear my mother telling my father that that was a cold thing to do. He argued back, trying to justify his actions. I knew then nothing would be the same in my family. No more blissful ignorance to the fact that we all hated each other. I was terrified for what my life would turn into.