Chapter 21: Cadence

"Somebody help!" The scream resonates throughout our camp.
I swim out of the hole the Shadow agents sleep in and see Zatanna laying Harper onto the ground. Her arm is turning a dangerous shade of purple. She has been stabbed with a dangerous poison which the mirage agents are famous for using. The poison could kill her in ten minutes max. Luckily for her though, it is still only in her arm.
"Starla, Alaska! Get out here with the medical equipment! You are going to have to perform emergency surgery." I call.
Before long everyone is out. There is a temporary hospital set out and everyone else is helping out. Jax is sitting near the edge of the force field surrounding our camp.
I approach him carefully "you ok?"
He shakes head and looks up at me, his eyes are red and puffy.
"You really like her, don't you?"
"After I dated Jai I was convinced I would never fall in love again. He cheated on me, and I trusted Him. But when I met Harper, I couldn't help it. She is amazing, and I can't lose her" I sit next to him.
"Unfortunately, we all have people we have lost. I am praying that Harper is not one of them. I haven't even spoken to her, but she makes my best friend happy"
My glowing white hair surrounds my pale skin. That's when I look up. It is floating just outside our forcefield, and it is terrifying. The second I see it I feel something break in my brain. The monster is indescribable. It has teeth as long as my arm and sharper than a knife. There are dark sunken pits where eyes should be and it looks oddly familiar. It has the basic structure of a mercreature. Arms, tail face And I think that's what made it worse. I try to scream but no sound comes out. The monster disappears before anyone else can see it. I try to speak or make any sound at all but I can't. I'm frozen.
"Cadence, are you okay?" I hear Jax ask. And is the last thing I remember for a really long time, when this thing died. That is when I was finally able to scream.