CHAPTER : 1

NANDANI KAPOOR (P.O.V)

I did not expect to land up at the 'Kings Castle', San Juan Islands, North West Washington, that too surrounded by a family, who believes that I am not only their brother Manik's wife but also the mother of his infant daughter Aadhya.

I cannot tell them the truth that Manik and I had met only three days earlier, while we were stranded at the Atlanta airport, because of the snowstorm.

Manik was a Brigadier General in the U.S. army. He had said that he was headed out to fight a war in Afghanistan. While I was going home to a family who behaved as if I did not exist.

Manik had helped me with my baby Aadhya. He had kept us safe while we slept at the airport. 

We had shared lunch and dinner, and well I had shared all my secrets to him.

Then he gave me an address, with an offer I could not refuse. While departing he said 'Until we meet again.'

Six months later, Manik returns back, to bury his dead brother, Brigadier General Dhruv Malhotra, and my lie is on the verge of being exposed. 

But Manik doesn't say a word. He goes along pretending that we are husband and wife. Each day that we are spending together, makes it harder and harder, not to believe in this lie.

Could this lie, become perfect forever? 

                                                                      MANIK MALHOTRA (P.O.V)

I was fifteen years old, while my brother Dhruv Malhotra was eighteen years old. I asked him do you really have to go. He ruffled my hair and said that he would not be gone long. After the basic military training, he would be back to see us. Later I would realize that this was one big lie. We were sitting at our favorite spot, sitting on the log that had come awash, on the beach. I then jumped to my feet, running down to the shore and chasing the seagulls away. They fly up into the air, calling out to their bird friends.  

My brother Dhruv gave us the news that he was joining the U.S. Army. He said that he had no choice. He needed to work, and what better work, than to serve the armed forces. 

Three years down the line, I too started training for the military and planned to join the U.S. Army. I too had no other options open. I could not stay here and live off my name. There was also no money left behind our name anymore. The Internal Revenue Service also was issuing notices to us for not paying taxes. Our Accountant also had not paid taxes on the family shipping business for years together. 

One truth still troubles me, "Why did my Dad commit suicide? Why did he shoot himself, with his gun why? This question kept on nagging me from deep within. 

I still remember that morning clearly, when I had fought with Dad, as he did not want to go to my last football match. I broke his favorite model ship 'Her Highness' in revenge. "Damn." But my Dad did not yell at me, or anything. That same day he had committed suicide. 

Later as a tribute to my Dad, I went to the library to get books, guiding me so that I could mend the ship 'Her Highness.'