CHAPTER : 2

MANIK MALHOTRA

PRESENT-DAY

Manik was woken up by the sound of seagulls crying. He blinked his eyes, and then checked the time on his watch. He sat up straight in the chair and then realized that he had been sleeping for the last two hours. He had been dreaming about his brother Brigadier General Dhruv Malhotra. It had been a week since he left Afghanistan, to return home. A week since his plane crashed in the sea, while he was returning to the U.S.A. The search and rescue operation, by the Coast Guard and Navy, was on. It was six months back that he had left home to join duty. Six months back that he had kissed Goodbye to his wife Alya Malhotra. 

It was exactly a week back since Brigadier General Manik Malhotra left his home at San Juan Islands North West Washington, to officially resume his duties. He was at the U.S. military headquarters, in Washington, to complete his official work. He had then taken a flight to Atlanta, which took him nine hours, which had now halted there for four hours and would then continue his journey to Kandahar, Afghanistan where he was deployed.

Manik's phone was buzzing. He pulled it out from his pocket, reading the message from his sister Mukti Malhotra.

Mukti: The Coast Guards are probably going to give up their rescue operation tomorrow, searching Dhruv. They might make an official announcement tomorrow. 

Manik: Why?

Mukti: It has been so long. The weather is so cold.

Mukti: They did their best, but Mom is not in a good condition mentally, and Alya just keeps sitting on the beach the whole day, she says she will not leave the beach unless Dhruv comes and drags her away.

Manik: Let me know, what I can do?

Mukti: From so far?

Manik: I will try.

Mukti: I know bro. I miss you and your guidance. 

Manik: I miss you too sis. As soon as I can, I will come and visit.

Mukti: Sure. Bye

Manik: Bye Mukti. Take Care. 

All this meant that the Coast Guard had assumed that their brother had either drowned or died due to hypothermia. The Coast Guard could not keep on wasting their precious resources, on a body they cannot find. Manik felt a squeeze in his heart. 

Even after having undertaken dozens of missions, he had not been used to death. He could not see people dying in his arms. Dhruv after all was his brother. A very good human he was, he had a smile for everyone and never left anyone in need. Frustration burned inside Manik's veins. He could not do a damn about saving his brother.

Manik was missing his entire family. It had been years since they all sat together. Years since they had sat down together, for a Sunday dinner. At one time, the Malhotra were inseparable.

Manik tucked the phone back into his pocket. He leaned back in his seat and looked around to see where his friends were. They might have possibly gone to the food court, but they had left behind their coats and other personal items because the seating area all around was packed. 

There was an announcement at the airport, "Attention passengers of Flight 456, we are delayed for another two hours. Thank You for being patient, and for flying with us."

Manik thought that he had to spend two more hours and wait for the Ice Storm coming from the north, to settle down. Only then could their flight take off, for the final destination. He tried taking a short nap but was again woken up by the sound of seagulls crying. But when he opened his eyes he found that it was not the sound of seagulls, but a baby was crying.