CHAPTER : 3

Manik was a stranger. He was a complete stranger, who probably needed Nandani as a distraction. The way he had lied to the elderly man, that she was his wife. Although he would have been a sexy stranger, had he not introduced himself as a Malhotra from San Juan Islands, Washington. Nandani had heard a lot about them. She had heard that they had lost their fortunes, and lost their father. Her best friend's sister had actually dated a Malhotra, and she used to give all the information about them. Nandani still remembered, how her friend's sister used to gush about one 'Cabir Malhotra' in particular.

Nandani asked Manik, whether he was related to Cabir Malhotra? 

Manik replied that he was. He replied that in fact, Cabir was his elder brother. Manik stared, at Aadhya, and wondered whether was she, Cabir's daughter? He did not know why, but he was jealous of his brother Cabir then.

But the next moment he relaxed when Nandani informed him that "My best friend's elder sister, had for some time dated Cabir Malhotra. That is why I asked you, as you shared the same surname."

Manik heaved a sigh of relief. He laughed, in a friendly manner. He shared that they were three brothers and a sister. Dhruv, Cabir, Manik, and Mukti, all in that order. 

Nandani at that moment wondered whether she would ever want Aadhya to have siblings? The little girl was very precious to Nandani. She felt sad that the little one's dad did not want her to come into this world. Well, he would repent someday Nandani thought. In her case, she never regretted having her baby. Though she had to sacrifice her sleep, Nandani didn't mind that. 

Manik asked her the meaning of Aadhya. She then shared with Manik that the name Aadhya comes after the name of Goddess Durga. Nandani's grandmother was Durga, so she named her daughter after her granny. She further added that her grandmother was a kind of a person, that every kid should have. She said that she missed her grandmother. She was a lot better than her Aunt. Manik then questioned her, "What does Nandani mean?" She replied that it means a girl or a woman who gives joy. The name Nandani is also attributed to Goddess Durga, she said. 

While taking a bite of his burger, Manik then questioned her, did she have any Brothers? Sisters?

Nandani was now a bit worried. She started thinking, whether once he had derived all her information, would he expect anything in return? But then she thought of sharing about herself. She said that she had a younger brother Rishabh Kapoor. She then informed that she had been staying with her Uncle Dhairya and Aunt Shanaya, prior to marriage. Nandani shared with him, that her Aunt was only obsessed about her social standing. She then continued eating. 

Nandani finished eating and then checked at her phone for any missed texts. She thought to herself then, Who was she kidding? Except for her brother, nobody bothered whether she was alive or dead. Not even her so-called friends from Mumbai, or from Birmingham cared to call after the birth of Aadhya. It seemed that she ceased to exist for them. But if she would be honest to herself, they cut off ties with her after her divorce from Harshad Saxena. Harshad was an influential man, with a multi-million dollar empire to his credit. She had an arranged marriage with him. Her Uncle Dhairya Kapoor though very rich, but was a very greedy man. He had arranged Nandani's marriage to Harshad, in exchange for being a partner in his firm Saxena Industries, branch in Birmingham. 

Nandani peered at Manik from under her long eyelashes, hoping he does not catch her ogling at him. Though she was not interested in any men right now, she didn't know why she felt that Manik had been mighty fine to her eyes, what with his light brown hair and golden-brown eyes. From his sharp cheekbones to his sexy lips, he was worth looking at. 

Manik had been chatting with his soldier friend, who was sitting on the chair behind them. The way he was laughing at his friend's joke, made butterflies flutter in Nandani's stomach. This guy is damn sexy, from head to foot, Nandani thought. His friend then thanked Manik for something, to which he blushed and said 'anytime man.'

Nandani asked him whether he did not like, being thanked. Manik asked her, whether he was so obvious? She nodded to that. 

Manik then gazed at Aadhya, as she opened her eyes sleepily and said "Welcome to our world, little one." Nandani told him that while she had been traveling from India, everyone wanted to touch Aadhya, and kept asking me about my marital status as if I have a neon sign on my head saying 'Ask me a question.' 

Manik stared, at Nandani for a moment, and then asked her the same question "What is your marital status?"

Nandani returned the ball to his court and questioned him, about his marital status. Manik replied that he was single. Now what about you? he asked her.

Nandani replied that she was single, but was focused completely on her daughter right now. She is my entire world, Nandani added. 

The microphones were on then, and a woman announced, that all flights were canceled or delayed till further notice. 

"Oh lord, Manik muttered. He then asked Nandani "Honey where are you headed for?"

Nandani replied, "Back home, to my Aunt's place, in Birmingham." She then asked him, "What about You and your buddies?" Nandani thought to herself that it was silly, but she felt so safe around him, and he had also bought her lunch.

Manik replied that he and his friends were headed for Kandahar, Afghanistan. 

Nandani said, "Too bad, for you'll to be delayed." Though she cheered on the inside. She was glad she had company.

Manik said, "Looks like you are stuck with me, at the moment." He then gazed at her and saw her yawning deep. He told her to take a nap, and he would keep a watch on them. 

Nandani told him "You have already done enough for me."

Manik leaned towards her, his aftershave had a mouthwatering smell, Nandani thought. He told her that "You and Aadhya sleep. I will keep you'll safe. I swear on my father's grave. I won't  let anything happen to either of you."

Tears welled up in Nandani's eyes hearing that. Stupid tears that had no business showing up, she thought. But then she was so exhausted, that she had no strength arguing with him. She said "OK."   

Manik rummaged through his rucksack and searched out for another two blankets. He ripped them out from their packages and offered to make a bed for Nandani.

Nandani just sat there dumbfounded, and amazed at Manik's efficiency, while he made a cozy bed for her with those blanket's. Nandani then asked him "Why are you doing this Manik?"

"Because I love my Mom. When she finally got the help she had needed, I had seen the difference it had made to her. Though it had been almost too late."

Nandani touched his arm, the heat of his skin was scorching, while the sparks of desire flared up. She just said "Manik you were not too late. In fact, I could say you were right on time."