Monster Hunt

I began to think I was losing my mind. I carried out daggers and began to believe that some evil force was really out there. Okay, to be honest, I was bored, and there was no way I was going home. Anything was better than being there, even hunting imaginary monsters.

One night, as I walking, I felt a strong pull towards the churchyard and I didn't know why. The feeling that tugged at me, was so strong, that I had to give in. I walked under the church column, slowly, trying to get a sense of what surrounded me. Then I felt I was being watched again. I glanced on the right, and my eyes fell dead on Blade Cruorem.

He smiled. "You caught me! What are you doing here?"

"Do you ever not ask questions?"

"What's wrong?" He leapt up to stand where I was. But I began walking again. He followed me.

"Go away." I tried to hide my urge to laugh.

"I can't until you tell me what you're doing."

"Looking for monsters. Satisfied." He probably thought that I had lost my mind. Well even I thought that.

"So, that's what you do?" I could see a smirk playing at his lips--lips that I wanted to kiss again.

I knew I must have sounded crazy to him. "Yeah, something like that."

"Monsters, really?" Now he was grinning, like he found the idea of me looking for monster preposterous. Maybe it was. What the hell was I even doing?

"Look, I know it sounds nuts, but yes. Evermores. Shape-shifters. Killers of man." I repeated the words Vincent had told me. Blade kept pace, he was right at my side.

"They're not bothering you, so why are you after them?" He looked through the strands of his hair at me.

"Because, that's my job. Don't you have a job?"

"Yes. I have duties." He submerged his hands in his coat pockets.

"Well, why don't you go do them then?" There was a little aggravation in my tone.

"Are you mad because you kissed me?" He tilted his head to the side, and gazed up at me, with curiosity glimmering in his eyes. He was rather adorable. It was impossible for me to remain infuriated with him.

I laughed. "No. Why are you following me?" I stopped walking and he did too as I turned to look at him. His eyes flitted away from mine. He might've blushed.

"I am not. You just always seem to be where I am. Why do you think that you will find Evermores out here?"

"Evermores could be anywhere."

"Really, but why here." His neck looked more pale than it had looked the other night.

"Why are you here?"

"That's a rather good question. I'm not sure why I'm here. I just am."

"As I see." The question that escaped his lips next, gave me chills.

"What if you grew to love an Evermore or something like that?" He eyed me.

"That's crazy. I'd never love an Evermore." There's no way I could fall in love with a monster. Gross.

"You shouldn't be so quick to say no. Sometimes you never know. It could happen."

"But it's so grotesque!" I laughed.

"Doesn't have to be."

I shook my head in disbelief. "Please explain to me why you think that."

He leaned against a column of the church. "I believe that love can do anything-- It can change how one sees things, how one sees this world. It can turn a monster into a man and a man into a monster. And it has the ability to blind you. If you did love a monster, you wouldn't even know it. Love is a powerful thing; nothing is as romantic as the thought of being eternal simply because another soul owns your heart entirely."

I gazed at him, unsure of what to say. I was stunned. When I didn't respond, he said, "Well, good luck with your Evermores." He turned to leave, but I didn't want to say goodbye.

"Wait. If you want to talk, we can."

He gave me a glance over his shoulder. "Maybe some other time." He said as he leapt down and left.

I was awe-struck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------