Ch. 6

April 30, 1997

Gabriel, Natalie, Emilie, and Jane were sitting at their favorite cafe after school. Emilie and Jane both had a coffee. Natalie was drinking a tea, and Gabriel had decided to stick to water. He took a sip before turning his attention back to the girls.

"You really want me to make your dresses for the Spring Dance? The biggest dance this school has? Are you sure?"

Jane laughed. "Stop fretting, Gabriel! Of course we're sure." Natalie and Emilie nodded their agreement.

Gabriel sighed. "I'll try, but no promises!"

Emilie smiled and patted his arm. "Don't worry, Gabriel. We trust you." He nodded half-heartedly as he reached into his bag to get a pencil, paper, and colored pencils.

"Okay. Natalie, you want to go first?" Gabriel asked. She nodded and pushed a stray hair behind her ear.

"Um, maybe a simple purple dress?" She suggested. Gabriel sketched out a rough drawing on the paper.

"Maybe we can give it some silver accents." He thought. He bit his lip in concentration.

"You're doing it again." Emilie said.

"Hmm?" Gabriel asked absentmindedly.

"You're biting your lip. And I believe that's a dollar for me!" She said triumphantly. Jane pulled the money out of her bag and grudgingly handed it to her sister.

"What just happened?" Gabriel wondered.

Natalie sighed and shook her head. "They had a bet. Emilie thought you'd bite your lip when you started working on the dresses, but Jane disagreed."

Gabriel turned red.

"Aww, don't be embarrassed." Emilie told him. "You look cute when you do it." Gabriel just grew redder. He buried his face in his work as Natalie and Jane rattled off about the remodeling of one of the buildings. Emilie leaned over his shoulder.

"You really are talented." She breathed.

"Thanks." He whispered back.