NINETEEN

"I'll slurp your brain out through your ears!"

Taking a running leap, Naminé propelled herself into the air just as the demon made a slash for her legs, bringing down her sword to graze along its spine--though the cut didn't manage to run deep with its unnatural speed.

Sliding across the floor, she quickly dodged to the left, throwing herself against the wall just before some slimy snapped through the air, its force creating a crater in the floorboards. The demon's tongue slinked over the wooden floor like a snake, the creature slurping it back into its mouth.

Launching herself off of the wall, she raced towards the demon, eyes locked onto its shifting form as she drew closer, bringing her blade closer.

Breath of Wisteria . .

"Second Form: Strike of Blooming Vine!"

Blossoms and vines bloomed across the steel of her blade, a cry of determination slipping between her lips as she focused the muscles in her arms to sling the sword, its blade just barely scraping the demon's neck, the hiss of its flesh burning from the wisteria filling the air with an acidic scent.

The demon screamed as it slung itself back from her blade, Naminé beyond frustrated with herself for missing it yet again. The throbbing in her calf was slowing her movements even more than she realized, it seemed.

The demon gave a horrific hiss, its eyes filled with malice instead of mischievousness now. "I'm going to skin you alive before I eat your flesh, you filthy human!"

"Yeah, I've heard that one before," she said, slinging her blade to the side to get rid of the excess blood. Ignoring the sting shooting up her leg, she gripped the blade tightly and bounded towards the demon, its enraged howl only fueling her strides as it reached her, Naminé successfully dodging its talons as they stretched out towards her face.

But what she didn't expect was the odd sensation wrapping around her wounded leg.

The demon's tongue was enclosed around her calf, its saliva somehow burning the exposed flesh there, forcing out a scream from her throat. Without having any time to think, she found herself sliding across the floor, the beast strong enough to bash her into the wall several times. Blood began to pool in her left eye as it streamed down from her forehead, the pain to intense for her to have the chance to latch onto anything.

Its final blow sent her crashing through the wall, releasing her as her body was sent flying into another room entirely, her body only stopping once she crashed against the opposite wall.

The pain in her leg made every cell in her body burn, the muscle in her calf shaking violently as she looked down, seeing the flesh raw and irritated, the recently healed wound now open and bleeding once again.