TWENTY EIGHT

It felt like they were being stabbed by every outstretched branch as they soared through the trees

With one hand locked onto Naminé, Tanjiro did his best to prep a breathing technique, knowing that if he didn't land this right, either of them could get severely injured. Focusing his breath, he swung his sword with enough power to forcefully spin their bodies, allowing his Horizontal Water Wheel to soften the landing as they reached the earth.

But their combined momentum was too great, Tanjiro's feet slipping out from beneath him as they rolled across the dirt until his back met a sturdy tree, a grunt slipping between his lips as he took the brunt of the blow.

But rather him than Naminé.

"Tanjiro!" Naminé cried out as she lifted herself from his chest, her hands instinctively reaching out to cup his pained face. "Why would you do something like that? Don't get yourself injured for my sake. That's the quickest way to get me upset."

Callused fingers reached up to rest against both of her hands, the most delicate of smiles on Tanjiro's face as he tilted his head to tenderly kiss her palm, breathing out against her skin, "I'm okay, Naminé."

Had it not been for a blood-curdling scream ripping through the air, she might not have ever left that spot.

Instantly, the two were standing with blades at the ready, scrambling behind a tree just near where the commotion was coming from. Glancing around, Naminé saw the very same demon from earlier standing over a female demon, her face oozing with blood as he stood there with that same blank expression on his face.

Now that she was even closer to this demon, her natural instincts screamed to grab Tanjiro and find the others. Stick together. Protect one another. But her training compelled her to stay in place. It was likely that thing already sensed their presence. There would be no point in attempting a retreat.

"What are you looking at?"

Its voice crept into her bones and layered them with frost.

"This isn't some show."

The weeping demon brought her bloodied hands away from her face, her eyes looking over the slayers. She was in many ways physically similar to this other creature. Was this the sister he almost mistook her for?

A whole different sort of anger made her blood boil. This was sickening.

"What are you doing?!" Tanjiro cried out, fury twisting his face. "Isn't she your ally!?"

"Ally?" The demon replied coldly, his fingers fiddling with a spider's webbing that seemed to be coming from his fingers. "Don't liken it to such a shallow thing. We are family. We are tied by strong bonds."