Chapter Two

"The average on this test was a sixty," the teacher announces as she passes out our tests. "A lot of you failed obviously, which is why I'm going to offer you an extra credit opportunity to raise your marks." She says and explains how the students can do that.

It has been a month since Katherine has been gone, and Mia has been careless about everything going on in her life. She would lay in bed all day and she barely talks to anyone, including Ethan. 

Mrs. Sullivan places Mia's test on her desk, facedown. She flips it over, and almost chokes on her own saliva. 

54, she failed Math.

Her heart stopped. She doesn't remember the last time she ever failed something, mainly because she was always a straight A's student. She stares at the paper with wide eyes, before a voice interrupts her.

"Whoa, you failed Math?" she looks up from her desk to find Ethan with a puzzled look on his face. The bell rings and the teacher waves everyone off. Mia storms out of the classroom, ignoring Ethan's question. She makes her way to the lockers and shoves her paper in, shutting her locker with a loud bang.

She started making her way to the toilet, when a voice stops her in her tracks. Ethan was making his way towards her, looking stumped. 

"We've got one more class left," he says while pointing to the history book in his hands. 

"I know, leave me alone," Mia groans and continues to walk when a hand grasps her elbow, making her stop for the second time today.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?"

"Ignoring me. I miss her too, you know, yet here I am, going to school and trying to act like I'm fine when my best friend is missing." he replies with a mournful look on his face, which made her heart shatter into pieces.

Without thinking for a reply, she sprints into the toilet and closed the stall door, sobbing. She thought she heard him yell her name, but she pushes all of her thoughts to the back of her head.

Minutes later, someone knocks on the toilet door, asking if she was okay, but she just shrugged it off and continues crying. She takes out her phone and checks the time, she was about thirty minutes late to class, but she decides to skip since she wasn't really in the mood to face anyone right now.

_

"Brianna Hastings?" Mr. Mathews asks while taking the attendance.

"Present," a girl from the back of the class replies while raising her hand. 

"Mia Anderson?" he calles out, but got no response. "Mr. Hillingsbrook, do you have any idea of where Mia might be?" he asks Ethan, since he was the only one who would know where she is.

"Not a clue, I haven't seen her since Math." he replies with a shrug.

_

"Where is it?" Mia whispers to herself while rummaging through her backpack. "Thank god," she says while taking out a plastic bag that contained the cocaine. Mia has been getting some from a drug dealer in eleventh grade and she has been at this devastating state for a while now.

She likes it because it helps her with her stress and makes her forget about everything for a while. It speeds up her whole body, and increases her heart rate. It has been the main reason why she wasn't eating well or why she sleeps nearly the whole day. At times, she would feel so happy and excited and at times, she would need to fight the urge to punch someone.

She brings the plastic bag to her nose and snorts the cocaine. This isn't who she really is, but she craved it and it made her feel better.

She lays her head on the door and breathes heavily. She was seated on the toilet floor for nearly an hour now, and when the bell finally rang, she decided to get out.