Chapter 15

On his way back to the room, the doors to the Animus slid open, revealing the two security guards with an Abstergo technician in their custody. As they drew near and crossed paths with him, the technician looked up at him. It was Eva. Silently, she met eyes with him as one of the guards nudged her from behind, urging her to move past Talon without acknowledging him. They disappeared down the hall.

It took Devyn almost a half an hour to return, which was precious time that they could have been spending on the outside, but she'd accomplished quite a bit in that timeframe. Most impressively, she'd managed to sell the idea to Salim. In truth, she was surprised at how little he resisted her plan. If anything, his reaction had been similar to her own when Talon had brought it up with her. She could see him doing logical gymnastics in his head to justify covering for them. But in the end, he'd agreed.

"Ready?" she asked as his door slid open. She was reinvigorated and freshly showered. With Salim on board, she'd started to allow herself to get excited over their little outing, but they weren't in the clear yet. "Let's go, we should hurry," she said, as they began to depart.

. . .

Talon figured Devyn would object. That didn't stop him from trying once more as he turned on his best set of puppy dog eyes and wagging his eyebrows in a 'you know you want to' gesture. That earned him a playful punch on his shoulder.

He could see the wheels in her mind turning at the remote possiblities. She seemed to find one as she agreed with the stipulation of 'just a drive' and 'stay in the car'. A smirk spread across his lips as she gave him a quick kiss on his cheek and they parted ways temporarily. He winked in return of the look she gave him and hurried to his room.

Two security guards from earlier passed by him holding Eva in their custody. He tried to ignore their presence but had no such luck of doing so when her eye raised up and met his. It was a look that held no malice towards him but rather the same look he had seen on Malik or Esther's eyes when they gave their everything to the Creed.

He swallowed uncomfortably as they moved her along and he reached his room. A quick shower, facial shave, and changed from Abstergo sweatpants and shirt into something that was his.

He quickly settled on his Take Flight brand white knee length running shorts, red short sleeved tee with his black and red free running shoes. She had said stay in the car...if one limb was still in, that counted right? At best it did. At worst the material was comfortable and breathable for a drive.

He had just finished putting on a white hooded unzipped jacket and approached his door to leave. It slide open and Devyn stood on the other side, asking if he was ready. He nodded and they departed in a hurry.

She led him to the parking garage of company cars. He recognized the silver mustang she had picked him up in. There were plenty of high end cars to choose from. Since they had to stay in the car he wanted something that would view of the sky while keeping in their seats.

He settled on a two door red Mini Cooper S with white racing stripes and black convertible top. The vehicle was unlocked and keys were in the glove compartment. Not wanting to push his luck any further than he had he climbed into the front passenger seat to let her drive. "These are way bigger on the inside! Let's see how fast she can go." He commented as in fact the small looking car could hold five small to average sized persons comfortably. Two persons in front and three in the back seat with surprisingly a fair amount of leg room.  (C)

He wasn't sure where they were going, having never exited the facility before. It wasn't until the vehicle was parked and suddenly raised upward that he figured they were in the clear.

The sight of the late afternoon blue sky was refreshing as the convertible top was folded down, exposing them to the open sky. He recognized the randomly placed phonebooth 'person' entrance that she had led him into the facility the first time.