#4 On the inside

[Component four]

Quote of the day: "Cowards die many times before their actual death."

***

Night had fallen over Sanctuary again. After the very emotional and exhausting day, Nate's friends agreed on three things.  First of all, to not tell the settlers because they didn't necessarily need to know. Therefore they just made up some poor excuse which everyone bought anyway since they didn't have a reason not to do it. The second agreement was, to send a message to Acadia and call for an emergency meeting to find out more about the mysterious time-machine. And at last they decided to call it a day and go to bed, since there was nothing they could do anymore.
It didn't feel particularly right to just walk home and slip back into the normal routine especially when they were worrying so much. Everyone was lost deep in thought when they parted. It was going to be a long night filled with sorrow and worry and self-blame

__________

Deacon sat on his couch in his poorly decorated living room. Nate always bugged him to get a little decoration, to make the house feel more like his home. Nate thought that everyone should have a place to call home and it always made him sad that Deacon apparently hadn't found this place yet.

But what Deacon never admit to anyone was, that he'd indeed already found his personal home and it wasn't the Railroad HQ or Sanctuary. He didn't locate his home at any specific location. He'd found his home at Nate's side a long time ago.

It was true, everything he'd said today about Nate and their friendship... But, oh how cruel the world was! Deacon had always wanted more than just a simple and platonic friendship with Nate.

The moment he had seen him stumble out of the vault, Deacon became quite attached to the man. There was something about him that just lured him in. Maybe it was the fact that he was so unbearably GOOD and unaffected by all the cruelty of the Commonwealth but still always unchanged. Always so true and pure. Nate was everything that Deacon could never be.

Then after a few weeks of following him around and observing his every step and move, seeing every kind action, every breakdown and every helping hand he offered to the people regardless of age, race, gender or faction, Deacon found himself in love.

So in love that he would never let the person of his affection go. He wouldn't let the love of his life run of into the past and let himself get killed. He wouldn't let Nate go but most importantly he wouldn't let him go ALONE...

__________

MacCready in fact was not better off than Deacon in any way. He loved Nate just the same. How couldn't he love this beautiful, elegant and kind man after everything that they had been through.

At first he didn't even like Nate. He was just some asshole to come around and pay him for doing a dirty job. But Nate never let MacCready kill anybody for him, instead he took him to this strange little settlement, gave him food, water, a house and a clean and even comfortable bed to sleep in. Nate always treated him like a friend and never asked him to join him on any of his missions.

This pissed MacCready off. It REALLY pissed him off. The whole thing ended with Nate being pressed to a wall, MacCready towering over him and yelling at him to finally use his service properly.

Nate had just looked at him very calmly and also affectively and had asked him softly: "Do you want to leave? You can go anytime. You don't owe anything to me MacCready. I'm sorry."

Then MacCready lost it and he had yelled at Nate that he wanted to help him, to pay him back, to be USEFUL.

Nate had jut smiled and the next day they started doing missions together.