Chapter 4

4

Oh god no.  

"Oh god why? Why would you do this to me?" I moan in despair, shaking my head furiously as if to shake the awful thought out of my head. They say people block out traumatic events in their lives, how long does it take to happen? As fast as possible please, God. Now would be good.

"Oh my god, Dad! You are trying to get me killed!" James screams, holding fists of his hair in both hands and banging his head repeatedly against the wall.

"I didn't think you would react like this." Liam whispers weakly, visibly paling and laying his head in his arms.

"How were we supposed to react?!" We both shout simultaneously, then shooting glares at each other and turning back to Liam.

"We hate each other!" I scream, leaning back in my chair, wishing it would tip over backwards and end my pitiful existence. James looks like he would get down on his knees and beg Satan to make it happen, and then get up and praise God if it did.

Sitting up with renewed strength and resolve in his eyes, Liam levels his eyes with ours. "You two will work together, and you will settle your differences. You two are the children of friends. We never taught you to hate others. We were the best examples of friendship you ever could have had. Don't disappoint me."

Staring into his frozen eyes, he silently challenges me to argue with him. Seeing only defeat and resignation in my eyes, he stands up, sends a triumphant look in James's direction and presses a button on the intercom speaker.

"Laura, would you please come show Ms. Lacevine to her rooms," then as an afterthought, "and find something to occupy her friend until I can start telling him what he needs to know. That will be all." Turning away and appearing to study a spot on the wall, I take that as my cue to leave and walk out the door, slamming it shut just in time to hear James start yelling at his father.

I make my way back to the little sitting room where Ash was left and stop. The room is a mess. The chairs are on their sides, the paintings on the wall are sideways, the vases are on the floor, smashed, and Ash is sitting in the middle of the floor cross legged holding a cup of tea with his pinkie finger sticking up in the air. On the floor in front of him is a 3-tiered platter with different kinds of sandwiches and cakes on it. My jaw drops, and the only sound that comes out is a squeak. Hearing me, Ash turns his head and his face lights up, beaming for all he's worth. According to him, he's invaluable.

"Oh my god... What did you do?" 

He puts his cup down and makes a sweeping gesture with his arm towards the cakes.

"I'm having a tea party." Deep breaths London. No swearing. Stay calm. Do not attack the Mad Hatter.

"Why are you on the floor?" I ask slowly.

"Oh yeah." Smiling sheepishly, he moves over and I see his ankle hand cuffed to the chair. "James tackled me after I started singing. I think he overreacted." God dammit, I open my mouth, and close it again as Laura the housekeeper walks into the room. She doesn't seem to be shocked by the mess, so I decide to just let it go.

Baring my teeth in a smile, I greet Laura. "Hello Laura. It's so nice to see you after all these years." Pulling me in for a warm hug is her way of saying the same. Laura is a short and round woman, with greying hair pulled back into a simple knot at the back of her head. She's the kind of woman that if you were to come home covered in mud, beat up and crying your eyes out, she would make you cookies.

For the second time today, I am led through the winding maze of elegant halls, except this time I'm not being dragged along beside an arrogant jackass. Laura unlocks a beautiful wooden door, and it swings open to reveal a gorgeous bedroom. Well, there's a bed in it. The room consists of a sitting area, a mini kitchen a walk-in closet and a bedroom. The walls are a lemon chiffon colour (says Laura), the floors a dark wood, and the bedsheets and curtains a brilliant turquoise blue.