Part 2

Monty was driving you crazy. He would not leave those stupid fucking ducks alone. You were sure if anyone from the council saw you near them you'd be banned for life for harassment.

You called Monty away from the lake and crossed over the bridge towards a more open space. Throwing the ball you watched Monty race across the Common, he was a lively young pup who needed his daily exercise even if it did look like rain was due any minute.

Watching him chase the ball across the Common you had an overwhelming sense that someone was watching you.

And you were right.

Niall came walking over the bridge you had just come over, a baseball camp covering his thick wavy hair. The weather had been warming up as it neared the end of March but with rain imminent you were confused to see Niall wearing navy shorts. However, he still teamed it with a grey hoodie that looked incredibly cosy.

He smiled and waved when he saw you looking his way. How long had you been staring at him?

Who knows, but you needed to close your mouth which was surely wide open in shock at how gorgeous he could look while dressed so casual.

"Hey." He said as he approached you.

"Hey stalker." You joked.

"Hardly stalking when you told me where you were going to be!" He smiled.

"You asked me what I was up to today, I thought you were just making conversation." You smiled back.

Things were awkward between you.

Since you'd sprained your ankle five weeks ago, you had been texting back and forth, but he had ignored your last message that you sent nearly two weeks ago. He had been joking about something and you had replied with 'you're so cute." A completely innocent message, but it has obviously scared him off.

Niall had been all over the place attending some meetings for work, so you hadn't actually seen him in person since he left your flat the day you sprained your ankle. You had been annoyed, upset and embarrassed that he hadn't replied to your text. However, you were a big girl and had been ghosted before, you'd even done the ghosting. So you'd brushed it off and tried to forget about him. But earlier on this morning he had randomly messaged and asked what you were up to today and you had replied politely that you were off to the Common to walk Monty. You hadn't the heart to just ignore his message. You suppose you were clinging onto the hope that he might start messaging you again, as pathetic as that sounds.

It was a busy Saturday morning, lots of people were out walking their dogs or riding their bikes despite the imminent rain. So it surprised you to see Niall so casually seeking you out while you were walking Monty.

"I fancied getting out for a bit. Tried your flat but when there was no answer I assumed you were already here."

"So you are stalking me?!" You smiled politely but inside you were still confused by his appearance.

"Maybe...." He smiled back.

The text messages you had been sharing over the last few weeks were light hearted and full of banter and general conversation. He had messaged you initially a few hours after he left yours, checking to make sure you were ok. You had squealed so loud that you had scared Monty who had been asleep on the arm chair. Since that day you had got over the shock of speaking with him, he was a really humble and down to earth guy. But his radio silence had bugged you, he'd clearly had someone else's attention the last few weeks and you had been tossed aside. As positive as you had tried to be about the ghosting, it had hurt you. Your heart had ached a little at the thought of not speaking to him again.