Chaper 1-The Park

Lilly woke up that day expecting it to be like any other weekend day, she would go down stairs in her PJ's, eat a piece of toast with butter and marmalade and then traips up to her room to read a book or something of that nature until her sister, Petunia, was ready to take her to the park.

        "Lill you ready?" Petunia called, and Lilly jumped up and slipped on her shoes.

        "Coming Tuny" she  answered, running down the stairs. She met her sister at the door and they walked out together, skipping. Lilly loved looking at the sky on bright Summer days like this one, where the clouds were like candy floss and the color of the sky looked almost artificial.

        "Remember Lilly," Petunia said when they reached the small, run-down park, "don't swing to high on the swings like mummy said."

"But Tuny," said Lilly, "It's so fun."

"I know Lilly, but its dangerous and of you do I'll have to tell mummy."

"You're so mean," replied Lilly, and stormed off, her bright red plaits bouncing, to the swings, where she proceeded to swing so high that she was almost parallel to the ground.

"Lilly be careful," Petunia called, worried for her sister's safety. 

"Watch this Tuny," Lilly suddenly yelled and, when the swing was at the height of its arc, let go and-it seemed- flew to the ground. She landed lightly on her feet, laughing. Petunia put on her cross face- which she had mastered even though she was only eleven- and marched over to her nine year old sister angrily.

"Mummy is going to be very cross when I tell her about this."

"Oh Tuny," replied Lilly "please don't, she'll be so mad."

"I warned you, I told you I would tell her if you went to high on the swings, and you did so now I'm going to tell her," she said in a prissy grown up voice that Lilly didn't like in the slightest. Lilly sniffled, "Please don't tell mummy, she'll be awfully cross," she looked up at Petunia with big green eyes, little tear runnels down her cheeks."

"Fine," responded Petunia huffily, I'll only tell her about the high swinging and not about the jumping part, OK?"

Lilly nodded, tears still running down her face, but her eyes dry. She sniffled and looked down shyly.

Suddenly Lilly looked up and said, her eyes bright,

"Do you want to see something?"

"What is it?' Petunia asked, narrowing her cool blue eyes at her sister.

"You'll see," said Lilly tugging her sister along by the sleeve to the edge of the park where a small patch of daisies grew. Lilly plucked one of the small white flowers and held it in her palm, she concentrated hard on the flower, and slowly but shurely, the peatals began to close. Petunia gasped, and exclaimed, "it's not possible."

"It is," replied Lilly indignantly.

"It's not, you're lying, its just a stupid trick."

"Its not," responded Lilly,, starting to cry again. cJust then Lilly looked around with a start and asked

"Did you hear something?" Petunia looked around and replied with an indignant 

"No"

"Really?" inquired Lilly, wiping the tears from her face, "because I just heard that bush giggle."

"Bushes don't giggle," replied Petunia stonily, shaking her blond plaits, "your crazy."

A voice sounded out,

"She's not crazy, but that wasn't the bush giggling," a small boy climbed from behind the suspect bush. Lilly leaped in fright, and hid behind her sister. She peeked out from behind the wall that was Petunia Evans, and examined the boy that stood before them. He had long stringy dark hair that hung around his dirt streaked, pale face in tendrils. His sharp features were put into stark relief by his black eyes, and his hunched shoulders were enveloped by a huge coat, out of which peaked a filthy smock. He couldn't have been more than Lilly's age.

"You're not crazy," he said again, directing his words at Lilly now, "you're a witch."