Coming Back To The Start

"Good morning classmates! My Name is Theodore Morales, please call me Ted, 13 years old, I studied at..."

A new guy, I didn't know that this school still accepts transferees in the middle of the semester. He must be rich or his parents must have a connection within the school. I stop caring and glanced outside the window, the glory of having your surname starts with the last letter of the alphabet! 

"Mr. Zamora" my teacher shouted. I really wasn't paying attention,it was his 5th .
"PRESENT!" I respond nervously. Everyone laughed, my face is all red.
"Yes, Mr. Zamora I know you are present, we're already on our second quarter of morning class. I would like to ask to accompany Mr. Morales to the empty seat beside you. Thank you"

I nodded but I did none of the teacher ask me to do. He was quiet, and I like quiet so I didn't much complain.

I was a total introvert, and a legit school photographer, I love photography! It was so much of a hobby and my dad supported it and bought me a Nixon 3D000 the latest model and a few more lenses, I was the happiest kid that Christmas! It was in the end of the second semester of my second year in highschool when the school paper knew about it and viola, I'm on every sports event, rites and seminars the school had organized. That means, I get to travel a lot, for free! I got a few friends from the travel but no one really close. I liven up a little, I started liking to go to school because of it, and because of how busy I am the remaining 2 years of highschool, I completely forgotten my problems in the past.

Once I was asked to have a PowerPoint presentation for the graduating batch this year, ours. Nostalgia stricken me and got this idea of taking a photo of the campus on its wee ours. It was kinda scary for me, but there's a school dormitory where the varsity players sleep, there were guards too. I can't wait for this project to materialize.

*ring* *ring*

"Vince! Where are you? We're already drunk in here! Come on it's our pre-graduation celebration!"
"I'm still taking pictures. I'm already finished with the school gate, I'm now at the school facade"
"It's 12:30 in the morning! Hmm..Okay okay! Just do your thing there! We will wait for you here Vince! Don't let the ghost get you!" then she hang up.

Ghost? I looked around, there is no one here. Where the guards at? Damn, Elice always giving me the chills! She's such a bully. I took a shot.
I zoomed into one of the photo and trying to materialize what I have taken, is it a ghost or just a product of my imagination? I'm looking at the figure very carefully.

"Boo!" with a playful chuckle!

"Shoot! I'm trembling right now! Why are you still awake?"

"I just got out of practice, see?"

I looked down on his Red black Nike shoes and his sweaty number 7 shirt. It was Ted, I learned that he got in the varsity team that's why he was undeniably admitted even if it was in the middle of the semester, surprisingly, he is a smart ass too that's why he was transferred to the star section after the semester ended.

"You have a game tomorrow?"
"Just a practice game, we will visit the host school tomorrow, on a Saturday. Sucks right?"
"Then there's more reason for you to have an early rest" I mockingly replied. I took a shot.

"That was really good" he said. Impressed.
"Thanks" packing my tripod and camera up.
"Where would you go next?"
"To the field" I replied
"Have you heard the myths and sightings in that field?" He was serious.
"Yes, and I'm not scared" I am scared!
"You sure?"
"Yes I'm sure. Have a rest"
"Well, I sure hope to see you tomorrow. ALIVE" while he was walking away from me. Slowly.

I was frozen from where I am standing, my knees trembling and throat dry.
I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.....I can't!

"Wait!" I shouted. He smiled.

*Click*

"Why are you taking picture of the school at night? Wouldn't you like to take it in the morning when there's a lot of students and, even more, lively?" Ted asked

"I have this crazy idea. Nostalgia. You see, these empty halls and fields, every student has their own memories of it. I want the graduates to see and reminisce those days when they just hang out on the classroom corridors when the teacher is late, run around the field after class, meet ups at the cafeteria, cheering at the school quadrangle during sports festivals."

"Nice concept." Impressed yet again.

*click*

The place got a little quiet. I glanced back at him, he was staring at the bulletin board with some of the shots I took.

"She's really cute! She really look like a doll in this picture!"
"Diana, yes, she's a hottie. That from the field demonstration last February"
He took the picture out of the board and begged "Can I keep this, please Vince?"
"Okay" I replied. I hesitated a little
I started walking away and he followed

"You still have more of her photos? Can you send it to me?"
"50 pesos each!"
"Huh? You're making a business out of this"
"In fact I do, I charge people too you know"

He stopped and glanced on to nowhere.
"I really want to ask her out but I am really shy, can you ask her out for me?"
"I think it would be best if you do it personally. She will appreciate it."
"But you know her and I don't. It was really a shame that I won't be here the next school year"
"You're a varsity basketball player on this institution, do they not offer you a slot for college?"
"No, but Greg is, he's the star player and the school won't let him go."
"How about you?"
"There's a school in Manila that offered me a full tuition, a dorm, and a complete set of uniform! Isn't that amazing?"
"Wow! Good for you! I always see your team play, you and Greg were both good."
"Thanks, so will you do it for me?"
I looked at him and it struck me
"I got an idea!"

I took Diana's photo and taped it on my face. I told Ted to prepare and compose himself to think that this is the real thing. That Diana is the one in front of him.
He walked towards me.
"Uhm, Diana." His voice trembling.
"Yes! What is iiiiit?" I replied with a flirtatiously high pitched voice
"Stop it, she doesn't speak like that" he said nervously laughing. He coughed and continued.
"Take that off" He said.
"Okay" exposing myself in front of him. Bewildered. I see his eyes water, he is cautiously staring at me. I can't help but to stare passionately back.
"Diana" He said. My heart beating hastily. His lips was on a seizure.
"My name is Ted, fourth year student. I'm graduating soon so.. I just want to ask if you want to go out to a movie with me"
I nodded. "When?"
"Anytime, But if you will say now, then it would be great!" He smiled. I was star strucked
"I really want to go out with you" He paused. I saw his apple come up as he swallowed.
"I mean it" I'm struggling with the gaze. I'm having hot flushes. I'm getting uncomfortable.
"Let's stop" I utter
"Don't go" his immediate reply, grabbing my hand like he anticipated it to happen.
"Just this once, we won't see each other again." He now holds my hand with his both hands. I acted like I don't care, but my cold trembling hand says otherwise.
"Please, I really like you" Staring at me, with no gimmick in his eyes. He smiled a little, relieved.
I stared, finding the meaning thru his words, his actions.
"Enough" I said.
"Why did you stop?! I'm starting to get the feels already!" He burst into laughter. I smiled, hiding the relief and the disappointment.
"If you talk to her like this, she won't say no" I admitted
"I'm irresistible, right?" We laughed.

Good thing our campus has a small park with benches on them, it has that relaxing atmosphere for both the student and the faculty members. I placed my tripod on the very last row of the benches eyeing a good angle capturing the grassy background. Ted was standing at the corner, i'm amused that he's still not bored.

*click*

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Asked Ted
"None" i said honestly
"But you have a crush right?"
"Yes, but just like you I'm too shy to admit it".
"Who is it? Come on you can tell me!"
"NO"
"Tell me now!"
"NO"
"Is it Beatrix?"
"NO"
"Is it Shane?"
"NO"
"Elise?"
"NO"
"Joanna?"
"NO"
"Is it a girl?"
"NO...Ugh!" I fumbled. He caught me off guard.
"What are you talking about? Come on tell me who she is!" He had a hint in his eyes.

*click*

"Shoot, my memory card's full, I should transfer it now to my laptop" It's true.

I asked the guard earlier to let the classroom near the parking lot open so I can charge my devices there and set up my laptop. I've gone thru all trouble providing a permission letter and got it signed by head of the school paper, the college dean, the head of the security personnel and the guidance committee. Troublesome but i know it's worth it.

"Ted, come here, sit." Pointing him to the empty seat beside me in front of my laptop
"I need to get the spare battery for my camera in the car. If the transfer process ended, could you safely disconnect this out of my laptop?"
"Yes sure!" He replied happily. I smiled as I headed out the door.
"Vince!" He shouted
"Who is your crush?" He jokingly asked.
"Dumbass" I said merrily.

I'm in the car changing my batteries and I stealthily gaze over Ted's photo that I shot throughout the night. It was good, he was cute and cool at the same time. 
I came back holding my fully charged DSLR, and greeted Ted hello. He doesn't seem to be in a good mood. I saw my desktop organized. I'm at awe. I'm going to say thanks, but he's already out of the room.

The basketball court was just beside the building so I decided to take shots there. Ted, was practicing his shots too, but his jolly glow faded, I observed.

"Ted, give me a cool pose!" I requested to lighten up his mood. He smiled.

*click*

"Do you want me to be as cool as Greg?" said he.
He throws the ball in the basket, but missed. "You take Greg's photos a lot"
How could he know? He must have seen the basketball shots I took from their last tournament.

I was flattered "Are you jealous?" He just smiled, took a shot and shoots.
"No" he replied
"I don't like boys" I lied. I am so good at this.
"Too bad" He said. I faltered.
"Greg always let Jim play for free at their Computer Shop, I guess he exchanges it for a blowjob"
"How many times have you done it?" I asked, patiently waits for his reply.
"No, I don't like gay men" My anticipation slapped me on the face. He notices it. He came closer.
He put his arms around my shoulder and we both checked the shots I took.
"I look like crap, is it because of the lighting?"
"Maybe, but when the sun is up it'll be a better picture"
"Will you be here by then"
"Well, it would be nice to greet Mr Sun good morning, right?" He smiled with delight