Two- Wondered

You watched as he took out the key to his apartment and pushed open the door. It was clean, not surprising, as you saw the way he fanatically cleaned the counters and tables in the shop. It had his scent. Slightly floral but fresh, almost like a windy spring day.

You laughed out loud
A windy spring day
He smelled like a windy spring day

"Something funny?" He turned around to look at you

"Nothing, I was just thinking about the book I was reading before" you lied, you couldn't tell him you were thinking about how he smelled.

Ken's POV

She laughed, it was like music to my ears, I loved her smile, it made me happy, that she was happy.

Truthfully, I knew she liked me. She tried hiding it, I could tell. But when someone orders coffee 3 times in 2 hours only from you, you get suspicious. It wasn't the first time a customer had been into him, but they were always very forward, usually a one off customer, so he never saw them again.

But she was different, you couldn't let her like you, you valued her too much as a friend than as someone you could spend your life with. You couldn't.

"Something funny?" You asked her, curious as to what was on her mind.
Was it the cobwebs behind your old boxes you forgot to throw away? Or was it the cat stickers you placed on each of your spice containers?

She replied with an excuse about her book

Pfft, you knew she was lying. She was nervous, you could tell

"Oh, I should show you the book, this way" you gestured down the hallway.

It was a good plan, you purposely chose this book to give to her as it was the worst book you have ever read. It made no sense, too unrealistic, yet explores your imagination. If you gave her this book, it would look bad on you, and she would stop thinking you were some scholar or someone she could like.

You didn't want that. It would be good for her. You didn't love, you couldn't love. But it wasn't that you were incapable. You wouldn't let yourself love.

"To the left? Or right?" Her voice interrupted your thoughts as you reached the end of your hallway

"Left."

You opened the door to a badly lit study, you had forgotten to draw the curtains today in your rush to get out.
Flipping the light switch, you revealed a bookshelf filled with books.
You pulled the book out and handed it to her, you watched as she have the book a once over and patted it.

"It looks good, I can probably read it in a day, if I come in tomorrow." She looked up at you

You didn't want that, she should read it alone so you didn't have to see her hair fall over her eyes as she read, how her fingers traced the words she was reading- what.
You shook your head. You shouldn't think about her. She wasn't worth it.

"No, read it at home. It's better to read this in a quiet environment."

"Really? I kinda like the noise, it's cozy." She insisted

"It's going to be really busy tomorrow, we have a party of 20 coming, I don't think it's going to be cozy, so much as noisy and loud." You insisted for her to stay home tomorrow.

"Okay, I'll read it tonight. But you promise to read my book tonight as well."

"I'm not a fast reader." You lied, you read fast, too fast, that books were never long enough.

She glanced around nervously

"I should go home, I need to make dinner." She said quietly. She was cute- no I couldn't.

"Yes you should. It's getting late, get home to study by book. Make sure you have a 3000 word analysis by tomorrow, text it to me."

"I would need your number to do that."

She was quick.

You gave her your number and she left.

You didn't know why you just did that. You don't give just anyone your number.

But she wasn't just anyone. Anymore. Was she?