Chapter 8

They didn't have to deal with many Phantom Walkers as they approached the outskirts of the castle. Christopher followed Anastasia's lead since she seemed to know where she was going. Even though this could lead them both to their deaths. Christopher quickly put the thought aside. He couldn't afford to think like that, not when Cinderash needed him most.

He had been inside a castle like this before, only this one was much smaller than the one in his home region. Since his father was in charge of the guard in Gardeaniour, every so often the ruler of the region would invite all the best knights and guards from across the regions for a feast. Most times, his father could take somebody with him. Usually he took his wife but one time, when Christopher had wanted to become a member of the guard as well, he had tagged along. Christopher was treated with lots of laughter and a wonderful meal.

As soon as they stepped into the castle, they were greeted by a corridor as well as some Phantom Walkers which were easily disposed of. They walked past a small room before heading up the stairs. Many long tables, most were broken from the middle or the legs had snapped off. Cobwebs and dust covered the tables, walls and floors. He could almost imagine seeing people meeting here to celebrate after matters had been discussed; laughing and having a great time, unaware of what was going to happen.

They headed up a fairly wide staircase that created a spiral shape as he glanced up. Christopher counted about three levels in total. Four including the top landing.

Anastasia stopped abruptly, Christopher almost running into her. They had almost reached the top landing of the castle. He looked in the same direction as Anastasia and found a human-like figure standing in the centre of the open area. Thick smoke circled around the person's feet, almost as though it was calling all the darkness towards itself.

'Oh no.' Anastasia gasped. 'That's Abel!'

'Abel?'

'It's Maynard's son. He's the leader of Cinderash. We have to save him.'

The plan was simple; Christopher chants the spell whilst Anastasia distracts the Lich. But something made Christopher feel uneasy, like he was going to do something wrong. He glanced down at the spell book and opened it to the spell used to destroy Skobex — turn him back into his smoke-like essence.

'Destroy?' Christopher thought. He had a sudden realisation.

'I think I have the wrong spell prepared.' Christopher blurted out.

'What do you mean you have the wrong spell?'

'This spell destroys the Lich.'

'Isn't that the spell Helena used last time?'

'I don't believe so, however its purpose is to destroy the Lich.'

'Isn't that what we want?'

'If I use this spell, Abel will be destroyed along with the Lich. I need to find a banishment spell or similar. Only then I can use the original spell.'

Anastasia stood in silence as she averted her gaze to the ground. Christopher knew that she didn't want to hear that. She looked towards Skobex— Abel— before moving her eyes straight at Christopher.

'How long will it take?' Anastasia asked.

'Not long.'

'It better not be long. We have to fix this now!'

'I'll ensure it.'

'We can't let Skobex regain more strength. I can't battle with him forever either, I'll only hold out for so long.'