Chapter 5: Shade

Sorry that this is late. Enjoy our old friend. 😈

I basically fill in the details
I'm bored. Bored. Bored. Bored. Practically, everyone I know is in the Stilts, even my girlfriend. The Lakeland township is nice. But is it wrong to wish I was home? The only reason I'm here is because the slivers were going to kill me for actually being able to fight back. You see, they are stronger and have more time to develop their muscles so they can beat us up better.  You know, for fun!

But somehow I was just as strong. One day while being an aide to the guy in charge of our town, his son got angry or something and decided to take it out on me. Now after years of being attacked I wouldn't let it slide. At first I tried to fight back, but then suddenly was able to dodge faster than all the sliver kids who worked on their speed. I have some kind of  genetic in me that, in theory makes me better than them. And they didn't like it. They wanted to kill me. But I got away with Diana. And I faked my own death. I wonder when my family will find out.

I feel bad. But I had to do it. One day, they'll thank me for it. I shudder to think what Mare will do to me when she finds out. She is not good when she's in a bad mood. And she always is, so... I wonder if Diana is going okay in the stilts. The mission should be going well. Infiltrating the stilts is remarkably easy for anyone, even people who don't try. I used to get all sorts of information, easy. But some kid from that rich gardening family caught me. And it was game over. They barely got me out in time.

I wish I had a book. I would have liked to be doing something right now, other than lay awake stressed. But, alas that is not meant to be. If I am to rise with the dawn, it looks as though I won't be sleeping very much. I toss and turn in my cot, trying to remain as silent as possible. This is a bunk room.

As I struggle to get to sleep, I realize something. If I have the gene, then others in my family do to. And they will certainly try to kill them.