Chapter 6: Maven

Hi guys! I'm back. So sorry it's been a while. Enjoy.

My mom causes problems that involve me

I sit down in the limo outside school, greeting Cal. Bored, I decide to tease him about Evangeline.

"How are you and your betrothed doing brother?" I drawl, smirking. To my fury, he remains calm.

"Well, thanks." I roll my eyes in frustration and turn my back to him. I don't slouch though. Mother would never allow it. We sit in silence for a while, ignoring the inevitable conversation. Suddenly, Cal who has be slouching down, and listening to some musicals, like a nerd, sits up takes out the earbuds. I vaguely hear the song, Helpless from Hamilton Alexander playing. I hide my smile as he rushes to turn off the music. He finally speaks. "Mavey?" Rolling my eyes, I respond.

"Yes, Cal?"

"Do you like that red girl?" My stomach turns cold.

"What do you mean?" I snap, getting defensive. He's trying to undermine me no doubt, find my weakness and then destroy me. He holds his hands up as a peace offering, trying to convince me to not take offense. I take it anyway.

"I'm just saying that, because I overheard your mother talking to her after school today," he says slightly coldly. He doesn't exactly have the best relationship with her. But that girl? And mother? She's planning something. My stomach goes cold with fear. As much as Cal hates my mother, he doesn't know the extent of her cruelty. Mother knows how to win everything, and everyone is her pawn. Even me, her own son. This is not going to go well. "Your mother always has something up her sleeve, and we both know it Maven."

"Do you?" I mutter in annoyance. He's so stupid sometimes that I wonder how he ever got into any of my classes. His eyes flash and he clenches the bracelet that he wears on his wrist that conjures up a flame if he pushes the right buttons.

"Mavey.." he warns. But that's the last straw.

"My name is MAVEN, Cal. Not Mavey, Mave, or Man. And don't threaten me with your bracelets, because we both know what mother and father would do if you burned the car." Cal swallows both his pride and rage, and lounges backward, closing his eyes. Meanwhile, I start my homework and get it done as neatly and as fast as I can. I have slight OCD, which mother claims to help me with but she just makes it worse. Sometimes, I don't know if I'm thinking it, she manipulated me into thinking it, or it's just my OCD. It hurts and is a pain like no other.

But Thomas was able to help. He was the one who made me feel alive and safe. But now he's gone, and never coming back.

When I go inside, it's time to eat and I sit at my spot at the table, across from Cal, who sits next to Evangeline. The Samos family is invited to dinner every Wednesday. Just after the first course is served, my mother stands up and addresses the table.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. I am prepared and pleased to announce the betrothal of my son." The Samos siblings snicker as I go pale. "He will be with a red girl, whose family inexplicably has a type of power much like ours." Everyone at the table stops eating and stares at my mother. But she's not done yet. "She will come live with us. Her name is Mare Barrow." I hear Evangeline gasp in shock as I continue to eat, disguising my shock and rage. What is mother's plan now?