Chapter 12 - Tarek's Trial

Tarek stared down at a dark stain in the stone floor. Was he standing in the same spot as the last instructor who'd angered the king? He still had dreams of how the man's blood soaked into Princess' shoes. Luckily, she wasn't around this time to witness his execution. For that, Tarek was relieved.

"Leave us," Darnel ordered his guards as he leaned against the stair banister. He'd removed his jacket and headdress. His shirt was unbuttoned at the neck. And despite how his storm-colored eyes glowered down at Tarek, his smooth face seemed relaxed, at ease. Was killing so easy for the tyrant?

When the soldiers left, Darnel pushed off the railing but remained two steps above Tarek. "Do you know why I decided to meet you here, knave, instead of in a more private chamber?"

So not have two blood patches staining the floors? Tarek pressed his lips together and shook his head.

"Because I know you witnessed what happened to my daughter's last instructor. So we both… understand one another."

"Yes, Sire." Tarek bowed, keeping his eyes on the floor. If the knife came, he hoped it would be swift. He certainly didn't wish to see it coming.

"Look at me, knave."

Of course, the king probably wished him to see exactly what was coming.

Slowly, Tarek lifted his gaze to meet Darnel's penetrating stare. A pressure invaded Tarek's mind. He'd heard the king held certain powers of knowing what others were feeling and possibly thinking. Apparently the stories were true. Tarek emptied his mind and focused all his concentration on the man standing before him.

Darnel raised a perfectly-formed brow. "What did you hope to gain by aiding my daughter, hunter?"

Tarek, controlling his thoughts, wondered how old the king was. Darnel's smooth skin almost seemed unnatural, almost inhuman. Was he human? Tarek had heard rumors of non-human beings. But Pop refused to allow any talk of fantastical beings, so the subject was rarely brought up.

The king's jaw pulsed with his growing irritation. "Well?"

"She paid me, Sire." Tarek shrugged with a grin. "It came in handy down at the tavern." Actually, he’d added the coins to his stash he kept hidden. He shoved the thought out of his mind.

Tarek had once seen pictures of the fair elves that resided in the depths of Wilderland. If the king had long, pointy ears, that might explain his complexion. The king's lips pressed into a tight line. His brows furrowed, forming a crisscrossing of lines over his flawless forehead.

"It was also mentioned, Sire, that if you were pleased, there might be further recompense." He shrugged again, hoping he wasn't digging himself into a deeper hole. He was hoping to convince the king he was in it for the payment and nothing else.

"I see." Darnel stepped down until they were on the same level.

Tarek tried not to flinch and kept his eyes on the stairway. A shadow moved near the second story, but when he looked, the area was clear of any bystanders.

"Indeed," Darnel said, now only a couple of feet from him. "I am quite pleased. This evening has gone over with great success. And not only has Princess conducted herself with poise and grace tonight, these last few weeks she has been more pleasant. May I assume that is from your influence, hunter?"

"Perhaps, Sire, if I may be so bold, she has gained a bit of confidence in herself. I've found that tends to improve one's disposition."

"Perhaps you are right. knave."

Tarek felt as if he were walking on rotted-out boards. One moment he was up to being a hunter; the next he was back down to knave.

"Be that as it may, I will not be made the fool. The princess is my responsibility, and I will protect her whatever the cost. I've found that the best way to make sure everyone knows his place is to make an example of those who overstep their bounds. Am I clear?"