Chapter 6: Small Talk

You quickly learn that meeting people at University is one long and repetitive game of twenty questions. Once arriving at the bar we weaved through crowds of newcomers, the same typical chit chat coming from every direction of the room.

'What's your name, Where are you from, What are you studying', it had barely been a day and I was already sick of it. I wanted a sticker on my forehead that said Eloise, Surrey, photography, and if anyone asked I would point to it and roll my eyes, asking them to think of an interesting question or not say anything at all.

Instead, I smiled at every face that looked my way, mumbling 'hi's' and nice to 'meet you's' at random strangers, whilst Tia made a beeline towards the bar. She used her elbows to propel herself to the front of the queue, her tiny frame squeezing between gaps and holes. We both had a gin and tonic in our hand in no time.

The student bar was only a 15-minute walk away from our accommodation, a modern glass structure with black metal framing and tinted windows. It was a weird juxtaposition next to the ancient buildings that Saint Edwards was known for, yet still a striking piece of architecture. Inside, the bar station was positioned in the centre of the large room, with students swarming around like bee's to a flower. Tables with high chairs were littered around, yet the majority stood in clusters chatting over the loud music.

"Shall we walk up to a group and just introduce ourselves? No one really knows each other right?"

Tia was far more outgoing than me, I could tell right away, and I wondered whether it was all a front she was putting on. She had complained the whole walk about how nervous she was to meet new people and make new friends, yet on arrival her whole demeanour had changed and she stood a little taller and lifted her chin a little higher.

Her eyes scanned the crowd, like a predator scanning for their next victim, until her vision settled on a small group of boys towards our left.

"Come on," she said as she began walking, and I felt obligated to follow even though I didn't want to. Four boys stood in a circle, pints in hand, throwing their hand back as they laughed at something.

"Hi, hope we're not intruding."

It was exactly what we were doing, yet the boys smiled and welcomed us warmly, introducing themselves one by one. I heard the first name, Thomas, who was studying accounting, yet stopped listening after.

Instead I thought about home, about walking through my old campus and recognising faces, where people knew me and I knew them. Had I taken the comforts of my old life for granted, lulled into a false sense of future excitement and adventure University would bring?

An elbow jabbed itself into my ribs, and I looked up, startled, realising I was probably meant to introduce myself.

"Um, I'm Eloise," I blurted, realising how dumb I must have sounded stumbling over my own name.

"Earth to Eloise," Tia said, snapping her fingers in front of my face while letting out a patronising laugh.

"Jeremy asked what subject you're studying."

Who the hell was Jeremy?

"Photography. What about you?" I responded, guessing who he was and looking at him as I spoke. Only I had clearly guessed wrong as someone else responded.

"I'm studying economics like I just mentioned," he smiled as he said it, yet I felt like an idiot for not listening, and an even bigger idiot for getting the wrong person.

"Photographer ey? Must be good at taking some nice photos of yourself. I'm a big fan of the naked female form, so if you have any work, I'd love to see and offer my critique" a different boy remarked, wagging his eyebrows, and letting his eyes skim over my body. To say I was unimpressed would have been an understatement, and I narrowed my eyes as the rest of the group laughed.

"I'm more into perspective photography. I've got lots of camera angle tips on how to make small things look bigger if you want?" I bit back, causing the group to laugh even harder than before, and the boy to clamp his mouth shut. Instead of looking annoyed, I slight smirk edged its way to his lips. Was I getting the look of approval?

"Girls got sass, I like that."

Tia clapped her hands hard, the noise causing groups around us to spin their heads and glare in our direction.

"So, who's buying the next round?"