Ten

lmao I caved in guys...if you were on my discord server within the last month ya'll would've seen the progress of part ten which is about double the size of a normal chapter--mostly tryna make up for the four months of unannounced hiatus. I haven't had much energy to continue lol but mostly cause I haven't been watching the misfits as often as usual—and the shit I hear about shipping doesn't really motivate me either but... I'm back with whatever this shit is.

———————

Nightfall had touched the skyline as they made it back to the city. Matt, now awake, had been snapping a couple pictures here and there of alleyways and people he deemed interesting. Sam had switched with Ryan driving, as it had been unanimously decided he had a better memory of where everyone lived than Ryan did. Swagger was the first to be dropped off, and Matt helped his American friend haul his luggage from the trunk of the car and up the steps to the entrance of the apartment building. Swagger had given them all a small wave as they pulled away from the curb, before ducking inside. Fitz has stayed in the car the whole time, uncharacteristically quiet. He didn't offer a quip or some form of a "see you later." He just stared at his crossed arms, bouncing his leg anxiously.

What he was anxious about? It wasn't the fact that he was plotting the murder of a mystery person, or the fact that he was scared leaving his friend alone, (though that did frighten him a bit) it was more the fact that his outer facade was cracking.  His emotions were getting the better of him at this point. All that anger, anxiety, and dread, mixing itself into one big mess in the pit of his stomach.

Matt, climbing into the car himself, after a quick stop at a petrol station, glanced at Fitz, who had pretty much molded his body into the corner of the backseat. He took a quick look back as Sam was filling up the tank and Ryan was off god knows where, before closing the door.

"Fitz," he called. The taller man didn't move, too stuck in his thoughts to hear him. Matt moves closer, jostling his shoulder. Fitz's head snapped up and around, eyes blinking a couple times, before he turned to his friend.

"What's up with you? You've been so quiet since we dropped Swagger off."

Fitz gave him a light chuckle, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "Nothing really, just exhausted is all." Matt quirked a brow, suggesting he didn't believe him. Rolling his eyes, Fitz exhaled an irritated groan.

"What do you want me to say?" He asked. "That I don't think Swagger should be alone right now because he might choke and die and we wouldn't know? Is that it?"

Matt had moved back into the other seat, buckling the belt as he gave a snort. "And here I thought you were gonna give me a dumbass excuse about literally anything else."

"You underestimate this kiwi," Fitz grinned. "I'm an honest man with an honest job."

"There's nothing honest about you other than your personality."

That's the best kind of honesty, mate."

Before Matt was able to say more, Sam had climbed into the driver's seat, drumming his fingers in the steering wheel. The blond craned his neck to see where the rather elusive Ryan would be hiding. Of course it was a short game as Ryan tottered out with a couple snacks, a drink and his wallet. When he got in the car, he did the managerial thing and passed out said snacks to the other three; pretzels for Matt, Cheese Combos for Fitz and a small can of Pringles for Sam. The blond began pulling back onto the freeway.

"Fitz, you're next bud," Ryan said, kicking his feet up onto the dashboard, before quickly getting swatted by Sam, who was trying to see. The brunet gave a forced laugh, turning on his phone and pretended to read something on his nearly dead phone.