~Chapter 17~Country changes~

~Alexis POV~

All nine of us sit in the women's room doing what we like after breakfast.

The door opens and the queen comes in with an envelope in her hand.

We all curtsy and Queen America smiles. She walks towards where I am sitting by the piano.

"Lady Alexis, your mother has sent you this letter." She smiles as she hands it to me.

The yellowish paper feels rough. As I am about to open it, I feel a slight bump inside it.

I open the letter carefully and I can feel everyone's eyes on me.

I pull out the paper with the familiar writing of my mother.

Dear Lex,
This used to be yours when you were younger. Your father bought them for you for you 7th birthday. I hope that next time there is an interview you will be wearing these.

I slip out the remaining contents of the letter into my palm. With a slight jingle a pair of earrings fall into my hands. They obviously aren't real gold but the colour makes it seem just like they are.

The 2 golden roses catch the light and look beautiful.

I remember getting these. It was the best gift I have ever gotten. I look back at the letter and continue reading.

Everyone here misses you, and we all hope you win. The whole province is.

I want you to do two things for me. The first is that I want you to see if you can wear a dress that will match these on the interview and secondly, I want you to find a guard with the last name Leger.

Miss you and good luck. Hope you like the earrings.

-Love Mum

I place the letter back into the envelope and stare at the earrings.

I stand and curtsy at the queen. "Please excuse me." She nods then I run out towards my room.

I open the door and step into the huge clean room. None of the maids are here.

I sit on the bed and stare at the beautiful earrings. Here in the palace they may have earrings that are made of real gold but to me, these will always top them.

The memories of my father flash to me.

Him giving me a tiny box with the earrings inside. Him telling me that he loves me.

Drops of my salty tears stream down my face.

I wish he was still here. He could guide me through anything. Why did he have to be taken from us. All because of me. They didn't even find his body, they just gave us a letter.

A sob escapes my trembling lips.

A knock on the door makes me stop my sadness and force me to resume it later.

I wipe my tears and flatten out my dress. I open the door to let the person in. A guard is standing there and looks taken aback when he sees me. I probably have red eyes and a splotchy face.

"Lady Alexis, you are summoned to the women's room for an urgent report." I nod then remember what mother said.

"Okay I will be there. Just let me fix myself." I am about to close the door but he blocks it. "Where are your maids?"

"In their quarters. I let them have time off." With that I close the door and quickly scan the wardrobe for a dress. I find a light cream coloured one near the back and quickly change. I wear the earrings and then quickly check if my face looks alright. I let my hair out in my natural wavy style.

I get out and close the door then rush down to the womens room.

I sit down next to Iris then remember that she is going to be leaving. "Are you still leaving?" I ask.

She simply nods then concentrates on the royal family intently. I look at where she is looking at and see Prince Drew. He smiles when I look at him and I quickly turn away with my face as red as my hair.

"I like your earrings. It came with your letter right?" She asks still staring at the Prince. "Yeah." I reply.

The lights brighten and the cameras focus on the royal family.

"Now, king Maxom. I hear you and and Queen America have very important news. Am I correct?"

"Yes, thank you Gavril. Now I am sure you are all very familiar with our caste system. After all we do live in it. I have decided after all these years we should change something. I have been thinking about this since my own selection and now want to make it a reality. Everyone is now allowed to have any job they want and the amount of money they get relies on which job you wish to have. We have relied on certain positions for too long so why can't we try something new? The caste system is now off and officials will start organising job renewals and house renewals. I am sure everyone will now enjoy this. Secondly, the North have been separated for too long. Anyone is able to be part of Illea so long as you follow our rules. Thank you."

Gavril starts the interviews. "Lady Alexis please join me." I stand and set myself down.

"How do you like the changes? Do you agree or disagree with them?"

"I definetely agree. Now anyone can get married to who they like without their standard of living being changed unless they want to. My mother was a model, part of caste two but she had to decrease to a five to get married to my father. Also everyone gets to do what they want. It lets people have freedom and to let people make their own choices."

"Thank you Lady Alexis. Your words hold such depth"

They ask all the other girls the same thing.

When its over I catch up with Iris before she leaves.

"What caste is the boy you like from?"

"Five. He actually is from your province but I met him one at this party. He was playing the piano. We occassionally try to see each other though so it isn't that bad."

"Oh really? What is his name, I might know him?"

She blushes then looks away.

"John Mason." She says shyly.

"My brother?" I exclaim loudly.