𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. PERIPHETES

▬▬▬ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ▬▬▬

THEY MANAGED TO CROSS SEVERAL more states and finally reached Arkansas all the way from Georgia through tons of walking, 'free' bus rides, and a couple of surprisingly safe hitch hiking trips.

While crossing through a small town, they found a diner selling good old fashion cheeseburgers and milkshakes and decided to stop there for the day. Since Esmerelda had been feeling lazy lately, she was in her dog form, immediately catching the attention of the dog lovers, which was basically everyone in the diner.

"She's such a cute thing~" The waitress cooed.

Ethan grunted, glaring at the puppy who was wagging her tail. Whenever there was a group of people around, Esmerelda always shifted into her dog form knowing that everyone would fawn over her like a bunch of mindless idiots. He didn't know whether she did that to annoy him or because she genuinely enjoyed the attention.

"Ahem," he cleared his throat loudly since the waitress was too busy awwing over Esmerelda to pay him any attention. "I'll have two cheeseburgers, one chocolate smoothie, and one vanilla with a side of curly fries."

"Coming right up kid," the waitress said, dutifully writing the order down before finally leaving.

He gave Esmerelda a withering look. "Can you change back already? You can't seriously expect to be able to eat a whole cheeseburger while you're that small. The burger's probably gonna be bigger than you!"

She made a weird noise in her throat, one that suspiciously sounded like a harrumph.

He gave her an offended look. "Are you—did you seriously just sass me as a dog?"

She stuck her tongue out.

"I'm gonna push you off this table," he grumbled, but didn't really do anything.

The waitress returned a few moments later with their order, and the whole diner got to enjoy watching a pomeranian attempt to eat a whole cheeseburger while Ethan sat at the side, forgotten and aggravated beyond belief. It got worse when he had to lift her up so she could drink from the straw which only earned them another round of 'aw!'s.

It was so annoying.

It got worse when a bunch of kids—ugh—approached their table and asked if they could pet her. Ethan said no and gave them a glare that should've sent them running for the hills, but puppy Esmerelda just had to steal the show yet again and laid down on her back invitingly.

Ethan suppressed the urge to groan as the kids giggled and gave her belly rubs. Instead, he just rolled his eyes and went back to his burger.

By the time they finished their breakfast, Esmerelda was thoroughly blissed out from all the affection she had been given as a puppy. He wondered if this was all to compensate for the lack of love and care she had in her childhood, but didn't bother asking.