Part One

Mother is in the garden, Father is in the study, and Ahren is hidden in a corner of the library. I'm leaning against the window at the library, reading a history book.

Losing interest in my book, I gaze out the window. My eye catches my reflection, I see my wispy chocolate hair clinging onto my tiara, reminding me that I will never be a commoner, my piercing brown eyes hold each other's gaze for a second before I dart my eyes down to the ground. I opened up my book to one of the last chapters and unfortunately, it was about my brother Ahren and I. I was planning on closing the book but curiosity took ahold of me and whisked me into a world of facts and knowledge that frankly, I didn't even know about myself.
*************
"Eadlyn, you need to know that you need to have selection of your own at one point." my father gently scolded.
"I think we actually could work around it and just find another way, Maxon, it's clear as day that she wants no part in this,"
"America! This is tradition we HAVE to carry on! We won't be able to dodge this."
Agitated, Mother stomped out, and I found myself trailing behind her. It's true that I don't want a selection and that I wanted to just pretend it wasn't there, but I couldn't help wondering what it would feel like to have the power of narrowing down a pot of men with lingering hopes of finding love.