Chapter Seven

Bridget's POV

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, my daughter, my little girl Hailey had been arrested again but this time she wasn't bailed, she was sent away, to Wentworth, I wasn't sure what she had done but i heard it involved her dad. Vera stood opposite me after telling me she was here.

"Why's she here? She's only 17" I exclaimed, teenagers under 18 are meant to be sent to a juvenile detention Center not a adults prison.

"We want to know that too Bridget" Vera informed me, I was confused mostly but she was my daughter; I had to see her.

"I need to see her; not in a professional sense I need to know what happened. I know I can't have sessions with her since she's my daughter but she's my little girl; My Hailey, she is only seventeen and she's been sent here their must be so much going on in her head" I worried as I spoke. It wasn't right for a physiatrist to see their family but this had to be different.

"Give her a bit to settle, she thinks your going to be angry and disappointed in her, she said that as we were bringing her in" Vera told me again, I was disappointed but no way was i angry, okay maybe a little bit but only because I don't know the situation. I left my office with Vera who went back to doing her job. I made my way to H3 where Hailey's cell was; at least she was in with them instead of any of the others, I knew if she stuck with Bea then she'd hopefully be safe.

"Hailey" i exclaimed when I saw her sat with Franky, Doreen and Boomer. Hailey looked up and bit her lip.

"It'll be fine Hailey, remember that" Franky tried to reassure Hailey, she must have told her that she thought I would hate her.

"I'm sorry mum" Hailey apologised as she came over to me. I decided it would be best to talk in her cell since we wouldn't have a audience.

"What happened Hails' you were round your dads weren't you?" I asked trying to understand what happened.

"Yes but I can explain. I told the cops it was self defence and it was. I've lied to you mum, I kept saying I was happy going to his for half the week but I wasn't, he never treated my right, the bruises you saw occasionally, they were what I had got from him. He broke me this time. I spent the night at Katie's and got back to his this morning, he was already drunk and shouted, he went out and i got on with school work, my tutor was meant to come today but her daughter was rushed to hospital, he blamed me for not letting her in" Hailey paused looking down she looked scared and upset.

"He came back when I was making my lunch, he started shouting and hitting me, he pinned me up against the counter and touched me, inappropriately, I wasn't even thinking mum; I stabbed him" I was shocked but after everything I heard I understood it was self defence.

"It's okay baby, we will fight this. You'll be okay" I whispered as I wrapped my arms around my daughter, she shook slightly in my arms.

"Mum I really am sorry" Hailey looked up to me and I saw that she was genuinely sorry, I knew she would be

"I know you are baby" I kissed her forehead gently.

"Could you bring my photos in, the ones of us, the ones of me and Katie too." Hailey asked,  her picture meant the world to her so it was obvious she would ask for them brought in. I agreed to and we both left the cell, Hailey went to sit back with the older women while I indicated to Franky to come over.

"What's up gidg'" Franky asked using the nickname she gave me.

"Look after her, she's scared; I can tell but she won't admit it." I explained as I sent a smile in Hailey's direction.

"Corse I will, she's a good kid" Franky smiled genuinely.

"Thanks" I smiled; I sent a small smile over to Hailey and she did the same back. I left the unit worried about how Hailey was going to cope

Hailey's POV

After talking it mum and knowing she wasn't angry I felt better..

"Why don't you tell us about the girl of yours on the outside?" Franky asked while I sat with her, boomer and Doreen.

"She's amazing" I began

"She has been by my side through everything and I've helped her with everything she's been through too. It had been a few months since we got together but before her I was with a guy, I didn't realise i wasn't happy with him until we kissed before I got suspended from school." I smiled thinking about our first kiss.

"I'm worried about her though. She got mental health problems, she's tried to end her own life before, I talked her out of it.. I've let her down, she's not strong enough to fight on her own, she admitted that to me. I'm scared that if she gets so low then she'll try again, if none try's to stop her I'll loose her, I don't think I would be able to cope loosing her" a tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about loosing her.

"If she's anything like you told us then she's strong. Your not alone. If your really worried talking will help, if you talk to your girl she would be able to make you feel better" Doreen suggested, I nodded unsure what else I could say.

"I guess" I mumbled. I excused myself once again and took myself into my cell.

"Attention compound H block called to dinner" I heard the intercom, I fiddled with my fingers, I'd walked through the prison but I was terrified about going to the canteen where their was going to be more people, you see on tv that things happen in here but not always they were as they seem.

"You coming Hailey?" Franky asked opening the door to my cell, I nodded slowly, I pinned the photo of Katie and I onto the wall before joining Franky and the rest of the unit, Franky seemed to be looking out for me but I didn't know why, maybe mum had asked her too, not that I minded, I needed someone in here to look out for me and I was glad it was Franky. I shoved my hands into my pockets while Franky protectively put her arm around my shoulder.

"My mum told you look out for me didn't she?" I asked Franky while we walked through the prison.

"It's alright if she did. I know I need someone looking out for me, I'm 17,  not your usual type of 17 year old though" i admitted as we entered the canteen of the prison where we got our meal and sat down together. If this was going to be my new life then I would have to get used to this and that meant growing some balls and staring to act my age but how was I going to manage that? That was the question!!