Chapter 1: CONTACT!!!!

"Astartes talking"
'Characters thoughts'
"Non-Astartes talking"

"The uniforms of the Imperial Guard are camouflaged in order to protect their wearers by hiding them from sight. The principle is that what the enemy cannot see he cannot kill. This is not the way of the Adeptus Astartes. A Space Marine's armor is bright with heraldry that proclaims his devotion to his Chapter and the beloved Emperor of Mankind. Our principle is that what the enemy can see, he will soon learn to fear!"

-Chaplain Aston, 10th Company, Firehawks Chapter,

The sky over the "frontier" as it's officially known is filled with dark clouds, yet as you go deeper and deeper into the frontier you start to see that the sun doesn't shine through the clouds. The light can't seem to shine as much the deeper you go, yet there is light just it's redder at least during the day. When it gets to the night time cycle the frontier starts to get more and more bizarre especially in the complete utter darkness. It's so dark that even most night vision goggles or equipment can at most see a couple of dozen meters if you're lucky.
That is not even the worst part, the deeper you go, the more dangerous the "abominations" become. It reminds mankind why this will always be ruled by "them" never mankind and if the wildlife doesn't kill you then something even worse than death will.

There have been stories of people going to far in, never to be seen again until one did come back and what he said will later be recorded as rambles of a crazy man. Until more people started coming back with the same story and then it became a reality. When proof came in the form of a corpse, which further analysis concluded something horrifying that it was sealed away from the public never to see the light of day.

The "frontier" has been the official designation that the kingdoms have appointed, as they thought it fitting. For those that venture from the safety of the walls, then the only thing waiting for them is mostly death and for others opportunity. The locals have a different for the "frontier" the "Badlands" is what the locals call it, for it brings nothing but bad news as the name implies.

The reason mainly being that it's the place where people who want to get rich quickly or make a "difference", come to die. There's even a saying by the villagers and townsmen that make their home by the frontier. The saying goes: "if you go outside of town and dig somewhere, you will always find skulls of people buried beneath the soil".

The vast and harsh life of the "frontier" is filled with hidden danger.
Most deaths happen for all the same reason mankind has fought and killed each other, since the first human bitch-slap the other human for being a faggot. The people walking inside the forests of the frontier day in day out are scratching out a living while risking their lives daily. Nobody cares about morality or justice only the weapon in hand decided everything!

Only the villages, and towns that are officially controlled or under the protection from their respective kingdom can be called decent at best. It's also home to the city known as "Black Alley" the second-largest black market to ever exist. The place where if you can't handle the "heat" then the "Black Alley" is the place to be. The type of people that make their home there are robbers, thieves, prostitutes, profiteers, wanted criminals, pimps, smugglers to name a few.

Besides these, there are two types that are more common to see, besides those running from the law. The first one is the majority of the population of the frontier by a huge margin. They are or are related to this group of people in some way or form, they go by many names, but the most commonly recognized name is "Scavengers". "Scavengers" are exactly as the name implies they go to the frontier to scavenge supplies, lost tech, riches, and more importantly "dust".