Body Positivity.

Body positivity is a multifaceted movement, involving a diverse range of people (women mostly) that claims to be optimistic, a safe space, health-promoting and inclusive. Except when it's not any of those, and is instead reverse-shaming, toxic, hurtful, harmful, dishonest and misleading. The name "Body Positivity" simply signifies loving yourself, and accepting your flaws. Embracing your body in a healthy way, while also making an effort to change what's unhealthy about it. But all in a non-toxic way through a self-love journey.

Instead, acknowledging that there's something genuinely wrong in obesity is now fat-shaming. Going out of my way to condemn the lifestyle that causes such a drastic weight is suddenly hurtful. Even if I'm doing it in a harmless way, from a place of love. 

Why? Because a few people got the wrong idea from a movement originally made to empower them and alleviate the pain that they're feeling so that they may make healthier choices? Why has body positivity been taken over by a single body type, a single gender? Why are men with dad bods not at the forefront of this conversation? Why are women like Winnie Harlow not promoting it? Why instead do I get a highly politicised flurry of overweight individuals trying to convince me it's alright to be that way,? When most of them not don't have any genetic basis or disease that causes them to be that way? When did it become so much about policing others and not actually about loving yourself?

I could provide a slew of reason to show that some, if not all, body positivity is toxic. If anybody has seen the Gillette razor ad, that woman is not healthy. She's beautiful, of course, but she's at risk of heart disease, or any of the countless problems associated with being obese. Instead of showing her compassion, however, we're instead promoting her as an ideal, and it's NOT OKAY to be like that willfully.I also don't like skinny-shaming being taken lightly. Girls called skinny, or sticks- their claims are dismissed for their victimisation is somehow less crude than fat people's.

 Let's take a look at Nicki Minaj's Anaconda, at the lyric- "Unless you got buns, hon". Let's take a look at the entire "if-you-re-not-thick" cancel culture prevalent within the body positive community.

There's some good body positivity, that recognises these flaws, and seeks to love your body, while wanting to improve it. And that's totally fine, and excellent even. Take a look at YouTuber Sierra Schultzzie, that's good positivity. Eating healthy, working out, and embracing yourself- is it really that hard?Fat-shaming is definitely real, but "thin privilege" is not. There's more to life than a number on a scale, thunder thighs, or a pant size. People look past the real you, and most people don't care about your weight. 

What angers me about body positivity is that it uses victim culture rabidly. That takes me to the edge of insanity with the most political correctness ever, which gets annoying. It also side-lines disability and autoimmune diseases which should be at the forefront. , Those things aren't usually in the control of the person suffering from them.I know I'll get hate for this, and get called a fat-shaming evil human. I'm really not, I have insecurities too, and I acknowledge how bad it feels to hate your body. At the same time I don't condone throwing science away to make people feel good about themselves. I know there's an actual positive side hidden somewhere in this stash of toxic body positivity somewhere though. It's my hope the movement reclaims that original purpose. Till then, I'm off. Adios.