Memories || Chapter 2

1984

Lynette "Billie" Ford

Vanessa and I acted as if Michael hadn't even visited yesterday. Whispering about the moment time and time again would've prompted other folks to ask what had happened. Saying too much would trigger pandemonium for everyone around us. We knew so much better than to ruin any bit of Michael's privacy these days. Losing his trust would be terrible.

Yet, I didn't know what to believe when the store-door opened one last time, right before we all ended shifts today. Someone allowed his footsteps to enter, but I immediately recognized his silhouette. Another smile reached my face despite this ongoing need to work.

His iconic Jheri Curl still beamed with gel under fluorescent lights here. Dark slacks slimmed down his legs once more, another crisp shirt clothed his upper body, and those Aviators still shined. Another dangling and greasy curl nearly veiled one of his own shade-lenses at times.

In other words, Michael looked sharp again.

"We meet again, Vanessa." In one swift move, Jackson took off his sunglasses and tucked away that accessory without even looking away from my co-worker. Michael's Indiana accent offered this rarely heard twang for a moment. I jokingly rolled both eyes as the sound reached my eardrums.

I had checked over some inventory one last time and glanced over my shoulder as Vanessa sat behind the counter to review our cash register again. Other employees still hustled around here to complete last-minute responsibilities.

"Hello, Michael. What brings you back?" Vanessa smiled, closing the cash register for good. I continued cornering myself, knowing that Michael wouldn't want to speak with me. I had only helped him for less than five minutes the day before.

"Your friend." Michael folded both arms and everyone turned their heads. On the other hand, I continued scribble on my clipboard, but another smile crept onto my own lips. I couldn't even help chuckling for a moment. He wasn't serious. There was no way. Again, I hadn't spent five minutes talking with the man yesterday and he wanted to speak with me. I couldn't figure out why he needed me.

"You're up, girl." Vanessa whispered to me just a few feet away. After scribbling one last time, I handed the clipboard to her and we played out the typical errand. My best friend let me walk towards Michael and focused on the inventory ahead.

"How can I help you?" I asked Michael. Jackson turned right back around and nearly pierced my soul with his brown eyes. Time froze, but i still knew better. I wasn't in love, but the Lord somehow blessed me with that moment during work.

"I just wanted to thank you for staying calm yesterday. Most people would've jumped right over the counter and begged for autographs, girl." Michael told me. I understood.

"We just know better than to act out like that. You're a normal person like everyone else. Plus, you've already got too much pandemonium going on in other parts of the world, Michael." I offered truth. Jackson nodded and glanced around the store for a moment.

"Thank you for understanding." Michael must've stated the express nearly countless times, but I still noticed that the smile on his face looked more and more genuine. Some employees around us started leaving out for the day, but Vanessa still watched us both.

"No problem. Is there anything else I can help you with before we close the story today?" I remained professional, but Vanessa couldn't help smirking in the background, as if she and Michael coded a secret language together or something. Both of these folks must've clearly known details that I hadn't realized, at least not yet.

"Vanessa and talked with me backstage the other night and said that you've always wanted to sing." Michael grinned towards me and even locked eyes with Vanessa. My eyes rolled before I could even stop that gesture itself.

"Um, yeah. What's wrong with having a hobby?" I asked. At least I was smart enough to know that only people like Michael could stand in show business for so many years and still impact folks all over the world. Not everyone could stand as the next gigantic superstar.

"She gave me your demo. I usually don't have time for things like that, but you can actually sing, Lynette." Michael informed. My heart raced and dropped all at once after finally realized what Jackson meant.

To be honest, I almost fainted. In that moment, Vanessa and I bore glances into each other's eyes. I couldn't believe what she had actually done. Her smile proved to be infectious and I grinned once more, feeling extremely grateful for the first time in a while.

My best friend slipped a cassette and the biggest star of our lifetime listened.

Am I dreaming? I thought to myself.

"Thank you, Michael." I said, calming myself down.

"You're welcome. I can pull a few strings if you'd like. There's quite a few people you could connect with in the future." Jackson winked this time.

"Thank you Michael, but we'll see what happens." I calmed down once more. Even Vanessa couldn't help smiling towards Jackson and me.

"You're welcome, but don't worry. I'll be back someday. " Michael slipped his Aviator sunglasses back on and his entourage filed out as if cued.

By the time that record store door closed again, Vanessa nearly squealed like a little girl behind the counter.

Just another day at work.