Memories || Chapter 9

1984

Lynette "Billie" Ford

"It's about time." Michael opened both arms to hug me as usual. One of the "Victory Tour" concerts had just ended and even his brothers still mingled with fans backstage. I laughed to myself once Jackson and I pulled away from one another. Our smiles proved genuine.

"Oh, stop it. I've been hustling in the studio just as much as you, Mike. I'm not just a face, remember?" I stood my ground, knowing that Michael would just roll his brown eyes again. To be honest, after recognizing each other by now, I'd slowly learned his gestures piece by piece. Meanwhile, Marlon grinned, leaving behind his wife and children for the night to figure why I'd left Michael in stitches just now. I turned to shake hands when he paused.

"Is this the young woman you told me about, Michael?" Marlon's accent sounded more gentle than everyone else in my mind. I then glanced towards Michael, curious to find out what he had told his brother. The questions seemed endless. I shook hands anyway.

"Yes. Marlon, this is Lynette." Michael introduced us. I pulled myself together and tried not to gush over the Jackson kindness that sweeped this world overall. That joyful bug had been contagious or something. I'd felt so warm, even around his brothers. Starstruck meant nothing compared to this feeling. Marlon and I backed up and he folded both arms, waiting for me to explain my Jackson link.

"We met in the record store like Michael told you, but he kept visiting after a while. Your brother is very persistent." I laughed once more. We chuckled in Michael's direction, who had already brushed off my comment by now.

"Sounds like him, too." Marlon nudged Mike.

"I don't care. If she wasn't reasonable, I probably wouldn't visit again. You know how I am with fans sometime. People can act a little too excited and you know that." Michael stood his ground. Other members of the stage crew passed us. I dodged these same employees.

"Yeah, but why did you visit the record store so often and help her out occasionally? She has a life of her own, Michael." Marlon offered the question that I'd wanted to bring up for quite some time at this point.

I waited.

"She's treated me like a human being this whole time." Michael confessed in one way or another. I smiled right back.

"Of course. I know better than a lot of folks you've met before." I chimed again.

"All right! Let's wrap it up back here." Head of Security Bill Bray yelled out of nowhere. Voices groaned with displeasure as fans started to leave the crowded area. Planning to leave just like everyone else, I bid farewell to the Jackson brothers. Yet, Michael paused my footsteps unexpectedly.

"Would you like to take a few pictures with me this time?" Michael asked gently.

"Sure!" I grinned. After all this time, there still had yet to be any documented photographs of Michael and I until this moment occurred backstage. Our genuine smiles had returned.

One of his photographers scurried towards us as if I were the Queen of England or something. Next thing I knew, our entire ordeal unfolded to become this impromptu photoshoot. Marlon and Michael sandwiched between me for the first snapshot. We chatted again. We joked together. There was just no better feeling around. I'd met two legends.

By the time Marlon walked out with his other brothers, Michael and I were alone with that photographer. No more fans and few stage crew workers. Only Bill Bray, his bodyguard team, and Frank Dileo lagged behind near the walls to wait for us.

Michael draped his arm around my shoulder, this time not smiling for the camera. I glanced towards him, jokingly smirking with dark lipstick.

"Your lipstick is pretty." He whispered, fighting his need to blush.

"Thanks." I smiled back. Our last picture snapped with Michael kissing my cheek.

We finally exchanged phone numbers by the end of that night.

___

"I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride. Everyone, please help me introduce Mr. and Mrs. David Watson." David and Vanessa held hands while strolling down the church aisle. I stood among the bridesmaids, wiping away some ever-flowing tears.

We had all dressed in lavender, rocking styled curls and faint lipstick for my best friend. By the time that reception came around elsewhere, I grooved with one of David's brothers all night long. Across the dance floor, Vanessa shouted along to music, almost losing her voice. I'd never laughed so hard in my life.

Pictures would last a lifetime as I posed with everyone and the bride. We didn't even care as Autumn breezes shook our natural hair time and time again. As long as the happy couple grinned with joy, I'd deal with anything.

"Bye, y'all! Congratulations." I squealed out loud as the couple's limousine pulled out of this venue parking lot and disappeared for tonight, signaling the beginning of a wonderful marriage. I'd call Vanessa in the morning as she would enjoy Honeymoon adventures tomorrow.

Even though I'd met celebrities and began my own career, nothing else compared to that beautiful weekend.