Memories || Chapter 4

1984

Lynette "Billie" Ford

"You're listening to 95.3 The Beat. Here's one record from brand-new singer Billie Ford. Hit the phone lines and let us know what you think. This girl is gold!" A radio jockey yelled out with gusto to announce something that I never even expected while driving out one night.

From the moment I saw you, I went outta my mind.

I never believed in love at first sight.

But you got a magic, boy, that I just can't explain.

Well, you got a, you got a way that you're making me feel.

I can do, I can do anything for you, baby.

I'll be down for you, baby.

Lay all my cards out tonight.

Just call on me, baby.

I'll be there in a hurry.

It's your move, so baby.

Baby, decide!

Whatever you want from me.

I'm giving you everything.

I'm your baby tonight.

You're giving ecstasy.

You are my fantasy.

I'm your baby tonight... 

I didn't want to believe it.

One song from my demo-tape reached airwaves for the very first time.

We thankfully didn't crash my car as Vanessa turned up the dial. She even squealed like any little girl found in some candy store. I nearly sobbed in the passenger seat, even while listening to my own voice now.

By the end of that week, record label executives were already filling up my answering machine. I couldn't walk out of the record store without Vanessa grinning like a Cheshire cat all the time. It was almost hilarious knowing my best friend felt happy around this time.

At the very least, I honestly began to wonder if Michael had whispered around just to put my record on-air. Only time would tell if he had been the reason why I gained so much attention now. With each passing day, even the store manager would wink as I entered.

It was until Friday after closing that someone returned to see me. Sure enough, this black limousine pulled into the parking lot and Michael's figure emerged outside. Vanessa and I walked right out of work and greeted him. Even Jackson's manager Frank Dileo tagged along once more.

"Hello, Big Shot!" Michael joked with me and opened both arms for another kind embrace. Vanessa stood alongside, still grinning. By the time Michael pulled away from me, I offered the big question that circled my mind these days. Even Vanessa nodded, waiting for answers.

"Did you send my record to the radio, Michael?" I laughed to myself.

"Maybe." Michael tipped his Aviator sunglasses and winked towards me.

"Stop playing." I chuckled even harder than the first time.

"I'm serious. I really had nothing to do with it. Sorry, girl." Michael offered his well-known Gary accent, soon apologizing to me before long.

"No matter what, thanks for the support." Now smiling, I pushed back one of my curls.

"You're very welcome. Now, what's the plan with you and Vanessa tonight?" Michael glanced between me and best friend, as if he had known that we'd want to enjoy our weekend like other folks around.

"Not much, actually. We can't afford to go out all the time. When we last we saw you, our partying was few and far between. Sorry if I'm flashy like you." I offered the truth. All the while, Vanessa almost nudged my arm, shaking her head. I rolled my eyes, knowing that she joked with me.

In that one moment, I planned to turn and nearly argue. Now, it was as if she had wanted me to change ideas for the night. It all seem to be because Michael Jackson walked into our lives not long ago.

As I've said time and time again, celebrities were just normal folks in my eyes. Yet, Michael seemed like this different kind of person. I knew how to treat everyone with respect, but for whatever reason, Michael would go out of his way just to see someone like me.

I just never understood why.

Other women like me most likely swarmed him on a regular basis. I just didn't understand why the biggest star on Earth complimented my vocals out of nowhere. I always hated to admit insecurities, but there was nothing really special about myself,, even when Vanessa uplifted me.

"It's not a big deal. Like I've told you ladies before, I'm not someone who goes out all the time. It's overrated in my opinion, especially in my business." Michael started to preach again. I didn't know whether to agree with him or speak out enjoying time off. Vanessa even rolled her eyes for both of us.

"Let's agree to disagree." I said, planning to bid farewell without really smiling towards Michael again. He acted like some kind of buzz kill this time around, which seemed unfornature since we met once more.

"All right, then. Congratulations, girl." Michael began to wave goodbye. All the same, I slowly began to believe that he didn't feel comfortable while leaving this parking lot. Bodyguards surrounded, but Jackson took a moment to watch me. Now, everything made sense.

I still waved goodbye to Michael with Vanessa.

There was pain in his eyes as the limousine closed shut to drive Jackson away